Monday, December 5, 2022

12.05.22 One day it will end just like that....


     You know you can never really figure these fish out. Here today, gone tomorrow. Mouths shut in the south wind, epic blitzes in the south. Peanuts one day, adult bunker the next. Lavalette and Seaside going off on a Sunday, dead quiet from The Hook to IBSP today. I finished up work today


and headed south on the Parkway. As I headed over the Route 37 bridge I started to look for birds on the horizon. Yesterday this place was jumping. I saw a post from Jim Freda from Shore Catch Guide Service who endorsed yet another, "best fall day I ever had with a charter", and he was fishing out 



front from where I was heading. I wasn't sure where I would end up and questioned if I would be slapping on by beach buggy pass for IBSP and riding the sand for a bit. I stopped in Seaside Park and it was flat with no sign of birds, bait or bass. I talked to a guy who said he was out since 7 am, from Belmar to Seaside and didn't see a thing nor had a fish in many spots. With that we heard a guy


on his cell phone talking with his bud, "It's still dead down here, I'm going to Brick, at least there's birds up there". So off I went with a little optimism. When I got there I found the birds and the guys




driving the beach (top pic). The birds were off with nothing on them. From what it looked like the birds were picking on something small, as I didn't see a small or large bunker leave the water. And for sure there were no fish up and on whatever the meal was. I fished and watched as the birds motored south over the bait so I made the jump down to Seaside with the hope of catching them if they pushed in there. The bulk of the guys were up in Brick and Lavalette but there were a few 


left and right where I decided to throw a tandem fly setup without a touch. The only sign of a fish was a rack left on the beach with some ice from the cooler. Not sure actually how good the fillet job was but what do I know, it's been years since I fillted a bass, over 10 for sure. I fished for a bit 





and took some pics of Amusement Pier as night arrived at 430, I can't believe how early it gets dark and how I am ready for bed by 730. The almost full moon had the place lit up so if there was anything to see it would have been seen. It's funny these fall run days, the fish come in waves, always, for the most part, moving south, although sometimes they do make an about face and head 


 north for a bit. Remember the baitfish swim into the wind, that's why west anything keeps them on the beach. Today was a south wind, not terrible, and you know it seems to not matter down here as they've been chewing in the west and snotty weather. 

     But now what? Today no fish from north to south. Is it over? Will more fish be on the way? Will it now be micro bass season? Guys always talk of big fish in December and January on herring, and what about the sand eels? Water temps hovering around 50 so we're good there. I haven't heard much about the Raritan Bay, but I guess guys are focused out front and along the beach. But some are 


starting to fish the rivers, and can do so until December 31st when the seaon shuts down. Here's a shot from a guy who looks like he dunked his rod into the Hackensack and caught a fish of a lifetime, a 47 pound beauty that must have made a wrong right turn heading south, or a wrong left turn heading for the Hudson. The bait and the fish do spend some time in these not-so-popular rivers from Central Jersey north and those in the know keep it tight lipped. For the fly rodder these industrial not-so-picturesque places aren't on our bucket list, but they can produce if you're willing.