Saturday, December 17, 2022

12.17.22 That was so worth it...



     You know it's not all about catching fish. I decided yesterday that today would be my morning to fish. Sunday probably better with some time and a bunch of tides following the NE blow we had which rained chaos along the Jersey Shore. Oh yeah, yet again. So let's ready the contracts and machinery and get those southern boys and the ACOE and get to sand pumping. No doubt that's coming soon. They love these storms, especially coupled with big moons and tides. 

     I checled the Manasquan surf cam and found it kinda big and off color on the dropping tide. The wind was swinging around to the west so maybe I could find some bass stacked up in the river or eating under birds picking sand eels in the wash. I had a half-ass plan and as I neared stop #1 I 


thought to myself, river first, then take a look out front, and then maybe drive north, through Spring Lake...Spring Lake...jeez, what ever happened to Bill Massey? So don't you know I roll up and find one guy fly fishing in the water and one guy gearless walking out. Come to find out it's Jersey guys John Costello, not fishing to do his back being banged up, followed by, don't you know it, Bill Massey. It was cold as tits out there and there he is, nearly 80 years young, giving it a go. 



"It's like You-Hoo". Not chocolate milk, but just enough off color to help make the decision to end things early due to the cold. So we got to talking. We hit, anything going on this morning, what ya thinking, how was your fall, do you think it's over, ever catch a late herring bite with big fish, trips to Martha's Vineyard, and then the always older and old guy talk of the hurts and pains of getting old. And don't forget the cold, how everyone can't stand the finger pain, and can't anyone make good fly fishing gloves? It was a pleasure to see him. Very fishy guy. And, early warning, very conservative, not that it matters, but leave the political stuff out if you meet up with him, or else you're going to get destroyed in a debate. It was so good to see him and John, especially in such crappy conditions.


     I took some steps up onto the rocks in the inlet. Met up with three guys who, were fishing, were cold, and were waiting foe the tide to flip. They saw fish at the corner earlier in the outgoing tide and saw one squeeker-keeper caught. There was a ton of birds working just outside of the inlet but 


nothing under them. Water temps still +/- 50 so that's not too shabby. Before I left and took the drive up to Shark River Inlet checking spots along the way I sat in the truck and warmed up, before I thought I would fish. I had my gloves and hand warmers ready and was just waiting for that sign to motivate me to step outside into the wind and cold air and give it a shot. A splash, good sign of bait, 

birds dipping, anything. And with that I said to myself I'm done. Done for today, and done for the year. So what is this, official quit number 2? Well put it in the books. Looks like temperatures are going to plummet and there's chatter about a bigt winter storm bringing us a white Christmas. Maybe there's one or two more outings for me if I'm in the area of water that holds some bass, but if not, I'm good. Counting down the days till March 1st when the bays and rivers open up.