Friday, December 2, 2022

12.02.22 Bait in, birds up, bass on.....


     The early plan was to sleep in and take a drive to the beach and see what's going on. Before I left I talked with the boss who told me she had a 1045 hair appointment. I assurred her I would be home before she was. I left from home around 730 and was nearly blinded the whole way east on 195. 



     Thank God I know where all the toilets are up and down the fishing Jersey Shore, well at least from Sandy Hook to Seaside. On my way to Monmouth Beach the "Jersey Shore Restrooms" in Little Silver's worked out just fine. Thank you Little Silver. My plan was to start in The Hook and head south. Today I didn't might asking for a little help from my friends. I knew Leif was working so I gave Richie a call but he was duck hunting. But by the time I was close he had a tip about Monmouth Beach so I headed there. It was flat, near dead low, and didn't seem all that fishy. I should have stayed because


after a circle back I learned they had good fish there. But I moved up a town and as soon as I got there it was just about to get going. There may have been about a six guys out and soon the birds





were up over blitzing bass. I had my rod and my camera, and although I was there to fish, today I wanted to capture some of this fall run in images. Throughout the day I held up on fishing and watched and waited. While I got a few decent images, I wasn't as thrilled as I hoped when I downloaded the images from my camera. Some too out of focus, some just missing the action, 




and most of just birds hovering overhead. I was looking for those spray images with big bass cartwheeling out of the water and I just didn't get that done today. I ran into Joe as the crowd got larger. At first, with the tide just after dead low, the bait and the bass were inside the bar, but as it 



filled in the fish moved on and the bite slowed. I told Joe I was heading home but bfore I did I made the move a bit south and it just seemed to be over as soon as it started. I had seen about a half a dozen fish caught before it slowed. The party boats were backed into the beach and the birds had 



scattered so I thought I was done. I figured I head south before hitting 195 west and I was on my way of keeping my word to Theresa that I would be home by noon. Then my Mother, who's visiting from Florida, called. She asked me to pick up a chandelier from my cousin up in Union Beach. Before I went I stopped inside The Hook to see if I could find my own fish. The Hook, when I was there, was dead. I blindcasted my way around Lot C and stopped by Fisherman's but it was the dead


sea. Before I headed north on 36 I stopped outside the park and gave it a look. Peanuts in tight and in the wash but nothing on them. I watched and waited but I called it and moved on. On the way I 





two stops, one to the bay to find it flat and dead and then the Dixie Lee Bakery in Keansburg which I have been going to for 50 years, and all of my family before that. My whole family is from Keansburg and I practically grew up there with all the family parties and visits.  I chatted with my 


cousin for a bit before loading up the swag and made my way home. Then I got a call from Richie who was having a blast and cast day, now catching fish in Deal. What to do? It was about 2 o'clock and I was overdue at home. A quick call home and permission was granted. Hallelujah! On my way down I said to myself "Let me give Long Branch a quick look". I saw a few guys on the 






beach with peanuts and fish at their feet. It was another what-to-do moment. Fish and maybe catch and take another stupid fish picture or try and capture what was going on during this unbelievable 2022 fall run, which has been the best in years. You can partially thank Paul Eidman from Menhaden Defenders for those 100,000,000 bunker out there, both big and small. By then the wind had swung



from the west to a hard south, and you know what that means. Well, nothing, as evidenced by Lavalette going off in a hard south wind and rain last week. But my fear was the south wind would take the bait off the beach just enough to kill the bite. I checked in with Leif who went to Deal so I started to make my move. Hit Deal. If it's good stay, if not split. Before I got to Deal


I stopped at Elberon and resigned myself to stop with the cameras and enjoy fishing for a bit. The south was kicked up and fishing east to west with a south isn't enjoyable. But I positioned myself on the south side of a bowl and just fished....and caught. The fish were loaded and bloated and luckily far enough out where you had to lay down a decent cast to reach. Some where in thr trough just below my feet, but I'll take the longer cast fish.  I had switched to a dual peanut bunker imitation set-up to increase my chances. I never doubled up but I think the two bettered my odds. I couldn't feel my fingers at that point so I decided to move and the quick ride with a blast of heat from my truck got the blood flowing in my fingers once again. I settled in on Darlington figuring camping on Roseld with the wind at my back would be a good move, besides it's a great place, now, for peanuts to get pushed and trapped in that pocket. Leif was a few groins up and had just that all to himself for at least an hour. As I made my way to the groin I looked right and the birds were just about on the beach heading to what is left of the Marine Place groin, which had been notched during one of the rounds of beach replenishmentment. There were three buds in the pocket and they started 


to pick away at a mix of keeper and just under sized fish. I asked them if they wouldn't mind if I waded out to the rocks and they gave me the green light. Not only were the fish on the beach, they were also making there way around the pile, and they had the bait pinned along the rocks on the outgoing tide. Each cast was a fish, a near fish, or a blow up, follow, or pricking. It was real good

fun while it lasted, in fact I gave up before they did. I so enjoyed being out there as the fish would swim between the rocks to attack my fly or any peanuts that got disoriented. It's amazing I didn't bust my ass out there because the ocean side of Marine is no joke. No flat rocks, and no two close enough to straddle. Where I did almost break my neck was bending over on the beach to lip a fish, I dam near fell over. I'm feeling a little portly these days and my Simms-sausge-skin-waders don't allow for much flexibility. I had my fill and made my way to the beach with the trio of friends still on the bass. 


"Quite a show you put on out there" the kind gentlemen said, adding, "That was fun to watch". I didn't want the day to end as I knew this was it, this was my day to experience this fantastic fall run. I had a few keepers but most were fat 24-ish and up fish. That is fine by me. Before I left I hit Roseld. So many good times and fish from that groin, and today it didn't disappoint as my last hurrah. Nothing showing in the moonlight but the fish were still there on the prowl. 


While I didn't get the shot I really wanted I think having the camera really helped me to document a great day in December in 2022. The iPhone video is pretty sick, it's just s hame the high-res version won't upload onto this blog. I know you have all see that before, but standing in it is really cool. Fish or shoot? I am glad I shot earlier today and caught later.