Saturday, December 10, 2022

12.10.22 Just a piss out of your balls kind of morning....




     I had planned on making my way north this morning. Then late last night I cancelled any fishing plans. But when Theresa and I both woke up at 330 am I just said "I gotta go". Nice and nippy out here this morning and a quick check with Siri told me it was 27 degrees, but it wasn't sunny. I made my way into Ocean County and was in the river by 5. It was cold, and I get cold quick with my increasing age. There was a sausage party in process, two fly rodders, then three spin fisherman but by 6 am I had the place to myself. I should have left with them. The wind was blowing from the NE


and it felt a lot more stronger than the 16 mph that I found online. I would say it was more 20-25. I set up the tank and fished in 20 minute shifts. When my fingers went numb I put some gloves on and waited until I had sensation again. Then it was more casting. I saw some bait, white bait, probably silversides, and the occasional splash from what may have been a shad or herring. As the sun came up I psychologically got warmer and hoped to catch a fish which would increase my core body temperature. I emphasize with those that drink early morning coffee and take diuretics for hypertension and then go out in the freezing cold. Like I said above, a perfect day to piss out of your balls. 


     I was joined to my left by a spin angler throwing an SP Minnow. His casts tripled mine with the NE at his back. I saw him go tight and really fight this fish and the cabbage that came along with it. I walked over as he got it close hoping to help him land and then release it. I asked him if I could take a picture of it in the tank and then suggested the release. He went on to tell about "lactic acid buildup", and then I knew this was a fillet and release, into the cooking pan, kind of fish. So while I knew it was bigger than the tank I put it in anyway for the images sake. It was a fine fish, like a 



perfect big fly rod 35 inch bass. I felt obligated to then stay another 45 minutes and catch my own before I realized 6 of us had fished this stretch and the only fish seen was gut hooked with a treble hook. So I emptied the tank and headed out. A quick look out front spoke one thing to me, bucktail. Below is a grab from StripersOnline with someone who thought the same thing,




These are the kind of conditions Billy Wetzel from Long Island always sings about. Big wind, big waves, big tides (now full moon), and big bass. Not sure what kind of success anglers are having in these conditions coupled with deer and now bear season open and cold temps and a slowdown from the last month or so. I headed into the backwaters hoping to find some refuge from the wind and cold 



and maybe find a fish or two lined up tight on the end of the incoming big tide. I futzed around for about an hour without seeing or feeling anything, including my fingers. This is our first taste of real winter for 2022 and they are talking about some snow tomorrow night. I don't know a lot but I do




think the migratory striped bass season is over. No more big masses of fish running the beaches which means no more blitzes, thank God. You'll have to put your time in and work for them now, either in the rivers, beaches, or if you can stand the cold what's left of the boating season. I think you would have a good day and not too much company in the Lower New York or Raritan Bay going forward. I hope to squeak a boat trip out before I call it done, you know one of about a dozen "I'm


dones". I can't recommend anything better for taking off waders than some type of boot removal tool. My brass insect does wonders for me, and I think it's better for the waders. I'm telling you it's like hardly any back pressure to get the boots to just slip off. Before I left I hit 7-11, which I used 

to love, but have grown to dislike. They ain't no WaWa or Quick Check, and nothing like a good old corner store. When did a 24 ounce coffee and a buttered roll, a shitty one at that, become $5.78? Is it me or do you to wish we could go back in time? I pulled up and watched the water and could hear the Queen Mary rubbing up against the pilings. No one is sailing today, and most not tomorrow, as the heavy lady in the back room starts to warm up her pipes. How soon till it's over?