Thursday, December 29, 2022

12.29.22 Who knew....

 

     Of course you don't know until you know. Earlier this year as Bunky flew the coop he gave me an old fashioned wading stick. When he did I was, "What do I need that for?". Well I put it to good use and it saved me a bunch of times from going out to deep or falling into the river. Again, these Delaware rocks, and concrete and debris, are big and slippery and at very different depths. I came to learn quickly how valuable a wading staff is. 


     This is the old school kind. It used to have the built in compass so you could find your way out of the woods, or can call 911 as you float down the river and tell them what your bearing is. It's also the good type, the one where, if it gets stuck, and you pull up it elongates, disconnects, and you fall in when it collapsed with your downward weight. Fun times.




     I wanted to see what manufacturers out there made a solid wading staff, of course they all do. A quick Google search confirmed that. Remember back in the day when there was one, or maybe a few, of the same product duplicated. Not in todays world. Everyone makes everything and everyone sells everyone's else's things. Basically, I think it's called drop ship. I'll pick on Orvis. Let's say they offer a X product. X product's maker makes it and may or not sell it themselves. They have retailers that sell it in the store, either their own or say like a fly shop. They may also offer it through their own online store. Now in this day and age, a manufacturer or fly shop may offer competing products for sale. What they do is, they offer it, they sell it, then they get it shipped from, wherever to the consumer who bought it. You see it all over the place, and even places like Facebook Marketplace, where "dealers" move products they have never acually owned. Ok, enough of that. 

     Of course the wading staffs offered today go from just about $30 all the way to over $250. All of the big guns offer them. What I need is the following, needs to be strong, the right height, comfortable with a hardy grip that lasts, carry pouch to attach to my stripping basket belt, something that attaches the staff to the carrying pouch, and most importantly one that has a locking mechanism. That's my wish list. 

     Now I'm just feeling these out, mostly from reading the specs and reading reviews, so I think I'm in between the following,


Few things I learned. The original maker of quality staffs. Made in NY, USA. Great warranty and repair, yes you pay for it, program. Concerns- how the staff attaches to the carry pouch. Dette's Flies is a an authorized delaer and has them for $160


     Simms offers the Pro Wading Staff. They sell them for $220. Supposedly worth it, however, big drawback, the staff attaches to the ouch via a zinger type device, and I haven't seen how it actually attach and works. 


     Patagonia offers the above for $159. It has a mesh carry pouch. I watched a video on it, adjustable height, locking mechanism, very narrow staff, but supposedly very strong. 


     Orvis offers their Riptide Wading Staff. Few things, neoprene pouch, don't know how easy it is getting it in and out, I like the old school leather fixed sized pouch. Looks like it has a solid retractable lanyard. But the collpased size is 18 inches, that's pretty long to hang down your leg. Cost is $149


    Adventik off of Amazon. Price is $36. After reading reviews it sounds like there is no lanyard to connect the staff to the pouch or person. There is one to connect the pouch to yourself, like a vest or something, so you'd have to DIY it somehow. 


     So after a quick review, I'm leaning to FolStaf. American made, stand by their product, love the pouch. I might just wait until after The Fly Fishing Show to pull the trigger. More to follow.