Friday, January 7, 2011

01.07.11 Have to man up for the Catch Magazine mistakes

Embarrassed and disappointed. That's how I felt last night after I received an e-mail from a friend in the industry just giving me heads up about some mistakes I made in the essay for the latest Catch Magazine issue. I had caught one of the mistakes the first time I saw Issue #15 and wrote about it here on January 1st. First let me explain the huge mistakes, I wrote the Ken Lockwood Gorge is on the South Branch of the Delaware River, and the Salmon River runs off Lake Erie. It doesn't get any worse then that. These are two rivers I visited for the first time over twenty years ago. Last night I had to find where I committed the errors.  I traced my steps back to when I sent the email to Brian O'Keefe and realize I copy and pasted the first drafts, not the final version. I emailed Brian this morning first to apologize and two see if these mistakes can be corrected.

I have only written a few articles in my life, most submitted and proofread by editors at newspapers and magazines. I have made mistakes along the way in captioning photographs. From the early days when you would type the captions out on a typewriter and stick them on the back of the newly developed prints to now when the captions are included in the digital image file. A town, a name, a date- most times always caught before publication. But these mistakes are so big and bold and obvious that I feel terrible that they happened to such a fantastic magazine like Catch.

I will learn from this, as John Powell wrote, " The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."

Slow down, take your time, double- no triple check, then hit the send button.

UPDATE- Got an email from Todd Moen, by 3 this afternoon all the corrections will be made!