Sunday, October 30, 2022

10.30.22 Sandy, ten years later....

     Today marks the 10 year anniversary of the day after Hurricane Sandy. It wreaked havoc and devastaion along the Eastern United States and not only detroyed property but took many lives as well. People are still trying to rebuild and in some locations the landscape will never be the same. 


    I was living in Ocean Township at the time and remember venturing out early the day after. I worked my way from Raritan Bay down to Seaside Heights. During the week following I was on assignment for the New York Times covering the post-storm clean-up. A few days after the storm we had a thick blanket of snow then followed by nice weather. 

    Eventually we returned to fishing, and surprisingly ctahcing, and I had the boat out within two weeks of the storm. Below I returned (boy I was bigger) the Asbury Park Fishing Club sign to the parking lot at 8th Avenue. I miss that spot, I miss that lot, and miss what the Jersey Shore used to look and fish like before the storm and the years of "replenishment" that followed and continue to affect the current surf fishing, especially for the fly rodders out there.