Friday, October 21, 2022

10.21.22 Tons of bunker and tons of boats...



     It's that time of year where the required gear is a fly rod, a stripping basket, binoculars, and a set of wheels. Started in the dark and soon the boats were coming out od Shark River. They stopped out front of the groin I was on but the beach was dead. Made the move north and found the longest pod of bunker I think I have ever seen. It stretched from the Hook down to Long Branch. When I got 


to my spot there was one guy on the beach and the boats were south. That didn't last long as they worked north and sat just over the bar on the bunker. Before they came it was a stripoed bass blitz like I haven't seen in a while. Running through the bait, tail slaps, and cartwheels but they were too far out and never pushed the bait in. Heard that earlier and north they came in and several large bass were caught. I saw one boat fish and Two-Rod Mike catch a 27 inch fish where I satrted. 



     Leif and his bud Adam came up and did the waiting game with me. You could smell the bunker from where we were and soon the boats split up and moved on, most likley into the bay, where they would have plenty of company. I heard there was a good bite in the bay even with the traffic. 


     Below was the scene outside of Shark River Inlet in a pic I grabbed off of Stripers Online. I'm not sure if they were on fish or just hanging on the bunker pods. Just a usual fall fishing day from the beach. Lots of driving, lots of watching and waiting, and no fish.