Thursday, October 6, 2022

10.05.06 Looking good after the blow.....


     Erin has decided she would like to major in nursing so the college hunt has begun. Tuesday it was UPenn and yesterday it was Essex County College with me, where she could go for free since I am faculty. UPenn has a less than 6% acceptance rate, Essex is all in. We also took a ride through Montclair State and watched the continuous stream of students exiting the campus like people leaving a concert or sporting event. That's what you get at a commuter school. While up there I 


to take her to the Calandra's mother ship and load up on bread and pastries. That used to be a daily stop when I lived in the neighborhood and worked in the firehouse. So after dropping her off in Red Bank I decided to hit the beach. It has been about 5 days of a NE blow related to remnants of Hurricane Ian. It has carved out the beaches and returned some structure on my favorite beats. I 


got down there about 4 which was an hour before high tide. A NW wind kept the incoming tide at bay and by the waves broke before the beach you could tell a subtainial trough had been carved out by the storm. The water was off color but not Yoo-Hoo. Birds were working mostly near the pockets and I watched for a while to see what they were picking on. Lots of little tiny debris floating so they might have been junk pickers. No splashes from below but it was an area to target. There 


were a few spin fisherman out and one near me was throwing a bucktail without any result. I thought of waiting it out to get up on the rocks but after chasing the birds down the beach in the rain I called it an afternoon. I was throwing an Ugly Ass Fly and it stood out nice in the offcolor water. The next few days could be good if any fish woke up or started to arrive on the beaches.