Thursday, October 27, 2022

10.27.22 Just not fun...

     Yes, it's called fishing and not catching. But there's nothing that I hate more than those falls where the striped bass seem to run along the beach and not down the beach. I know it's early, I think, becasue this year has been a little bit of an anomaly. Started two weeks ago with a push of big fish that has waxed and waned through some weather, wind changes, moons and tides. There's fish around, boats finding them from Raritan Bay to New York Bay to the Bight and out front. Slow, and not steady pic, of big fish if you get lucky or just camp out and put your time in. The Hook seems to have been producing most consistently for those who have the time and legs. 


     I got out of work about 330 yesterday and decided to make a left onto the Parkway instaead of continuing south on the Turnpike. I took Exit 117 and headed to the....well I couldn't decide to do the Raritan Bay stops so I headed to the ocean. Sea Bright, Monmouth Beach. Long Branch. Pea soup fog, incoming tide, no birds, no boats, no sign of bait or fish. So I settled in Deal and healthheartedly fished for nearly 1-1/2 before hitting out back. I felt like Two-Rod Mike becasue I came ready for whatever bait might pop up, but it was 1,000 casts without a tap. Had two guys near me and they were fishing without any to show. 


     At stop two I rolled in and saw a familiar sight, someone hurridly left their shoes next to their car most likely after slipping into their waders. Been there done that.