Thursday, September 22, 2022

09.22.22 One for two before the storm....



      

     I was excited to arrive down at the beach at 530 am. Wind was cranking out o th SSW just on the start of the outgoing. My first steps down were met with a roller that almost out me on my back. I thought for sure on one of my first casts into the pocket would produce, but between groin one and groin two is was slow going as the light arrived. 



     I posititioned myself on the south side of the groin and after some diffcult casts with the wind coming across my dominant casting hand I saw the bass clear the water with my Snake Fly in it's


Rather than try and land it on the rocks I made my way to the beach to land it. I had my ruler for an accurate measurement and it came in at 25 inches. After that I worked my way south and had one other fish breach for my series of a popper/dropper which I could see sitting on the top of the wave, and not in it's mouth. I saw Ritchie land a small bass and Leif was working the a beach a few blocks 




north. didn't see much for bait, maybe a pod ot two of mullet, one bunker on the beach, and one bonito clear the water out of range. Not really the morning I was hoping for before Hurricane Fiona comes within 700 miles of the Jersey Shore tomorrow. 
     


     Each year on September 23rd I make my way to the beach to stand on Ryan's Rock, where I spread some of his ashes 5 years ago, to listen to the song Blackird by Paul McCartney, one that Ryan had mastered on his guitar. I always hope for some sign from Ryan when I think of him. As the music played and I made some casts I looked east and saw the sunlight pierce the clouds and hit the horizon. Today is the 22nd, a day early than usual, but at xero dark thirty tomorrow  Theresa and I will be making our way up to Mt. Sinai for the more follow ups on my latest medical journey. Today was my primary care doc, cardiology next week, and then an eval with the ENT to figure out a plan with my sinuses. So a day early this year will have to do. Always in my heart and on my mind, I know tomorrow's forecast will have conditions blown out and most likley that sign through the clouds wouldn't occur.