Friday, September 9, 2022

09.09.22 Thanks for the check-ins and now moving forward...


     Thanks to those that reached out after the last post, wasn't my intention to alarm anyone. For me it was a good post, just made me realize how I fight having a lack of confidence, and at times, a kinda low self worth. But that was then. Picked things up back in the classroom this past week 


and that is off to a good start. Pleae don't think I just take random pics of myself with signs. I've been doing it with my kids since pre-school all the way to college, so here was mine to share with them this year. 


     But Thursday is my off day, remember that for the fall, and it was time. Time to try and start to untangle the bird nest and remove the radar post and dome without disconnecting something else vital in the boat. Know that none of this frustration is to disbarage Jim in any way, he was smart, beyind smart, while I am not. Most of the day I was saying things like, "Sorry Jim", as his voice in my head guided me on the process of walking things back. And several times I heard, "Don't just cut the wires!", which was very good advice. 



     After about five hours I had the radar and tower off the boat, and most impressively, still had power and functionality to both electronic units. I also spent some time trying to trace and figure out what goes where, what assessories does the boat hve and where do they plug in, and really survey the need for structural repirs to be done. 

After research and from years of talking with Paul Eidman, my Jones Brothers mentor, the tanks on these boats, the ones built before 2006, are aluminum, and leak, and that coupled with wooden structural members, that rot, and floors that get spongy, it's almost certain my boat needs a good overhaul, which runs from, softly, $5,000- $8,000, for the new tank, wood repair, new foam, and new floor and fiberglass work. 


     So, for now, the journey begins. I spent the balance of the day cleaning like I've never cleaned before. The ticket for me, Magic Eraser. The brush and the soap and the power washer, all good, but that stupid eraser remaoved so many things and the boat looks, better, and more respectable. 




       So now I have to come up with the plan moving forward. The goal is to fish it this fall and then put it away properly for the winter and be ready for the Delaware and the Raritan next spring. 

     Today we'll top her off with ethanol free gas, which I have awlays used, after the ride over to Pennsy. I'll then look at the trailer lights and see if I can trace and replace. The batteries, I suspect, all four of them, need to be replaced. I say that becasue the night before I would go out I would charge them, but then need to jump the boat or put it on a quick charge before the lauch at the ramp. I'm going to take her over to Eidman's house this weekend for his survey before dropping her off at Mercer Marine for the heavy lifting. I had entertained replacing the filters and and "looking around" the engine, but I'll stay in my lane and let the pros do their thing. Things are looking up.