Wednesday, September 21, 2022

09.21.22 Making bait....


     It's that time, and it may be that week, and tommorow may be that day. It's mullet time! Every year we wait and see one, if the mullet run will be strong, and two, will there be good bass around harrassing them. The way it usually works, good or not, that if there is any type of run, one storm comes and shuts it down. Well, over the next few days Hurricane Fiona is going to make it's way up off shore of the East Coast. So tomorrow could be the day, always good before the storm, and the 

storm that shuts whatever is going on down. How do you know? You go. There's no guarantees, but you look at things, like the moon, which is in the waning crescent phase working towards a new moon, on September 25th. You look at things like tides, and tomorrow the high tide is at 5 am. 


     The wind will be cranking out of the NW to 25 mph. So things look good. In getting ready I put on a new fly line, one I think Joe gave me years ago. It's an Airflo Striper Intermediate 10 wt line. And I tied up a nice black Snake Fly to offer at first light. I'm feeling pretty confident, we'll see.


     And in something fun. On my Facebook page a memeory popped up from 8 years ago. That was when I had Andrew Hamilton on the bow putting on a clinic on the albies just off Montauk Point. It was my first, and last, year of guiding out of Montauk. That year, and this week, was going to be my first time guiding in he Redbone Tournament, but it was cancelled due to, yep, a storm, which shut things down. While I'm not interested in the Fat Alberts, I am in the striped bass, and I hope their hungry in the AM.