Friday, March 12, 2021

03.12.21 Nice little shakedown trip...


     It was a great day to get out after a long winters fishing nap. Water temperatures have risen and are now working their way up to 50 degrees. While the season is early, I can feel the fish on the


move. After leaving the office I made my way through the city working my way to the spot I dreamed about the night before. Dead low was 0845 I I got down there around 10, only to realize as I started to dress I left my tip section home. So a quick home and back had me starting a tad later. It really didnt matter as this was a early shake-off-the-cobwebs trip. 


     I started in Jersey and ended up in Pennsy. There were a few guys out throwing shad darts and tiny spoons looking for a shot at the early shad, and they are here. As I fished I saw about a half a dozen leave the water. That was promising. It was nice to fish before the vegetation grows in 


which helps with the backcast. It was also nice to see the below spot free of Corona, Modela and Fireball bottles which litter the bulkhead. There's also usually a ton of hook and plug wrappers, aluminum foil from the local take out joints, and always a condom or two. I aways wondering who's thinking about getting laid when you are fishing?



    Around noon I made the jump across the river and hoped the warming rocks and mud might tempt anything that was swimming in the deeper waters to come look around. I was throwing a bigger Hollow Fleye, nd thought I felt some taps, so I downsized and landed the above smallmouth bass. It wasnt what I looking for but it did feel good to catch something that swam. 

     If you're gonna go, no matter where you fish, go. Looks like it going to cool down for a few days after the weekend. This warm up will help get the striped bass on the move. I'm thinking my 30 pounder has already passed under the Commodore Barry Bridge.