Thursday, June 29, 2023

06.29.23 Same Bat time, different Bat channel...



     I almost missed it. I had a plan around a busy day to get down to the river. Lots to do today with stops in Princeton and Pipersville, PA. First, Princeton. Went there helping a friend get ready for their move to Florida. Of course while I was there I figured I go visit by buddy Andrew at Orvis. Well he was



off today so I got the ear of fly fishing manager Bruce and we talked all about the Delaware and striped bass. From the early 90's to mid 2000's he co-owned the Delaware River Outfitters in Pennington. He used to have a solid client base for those that fly fished the Delaware and the shop ran float and jet boat trips in the river. It was cool to here from a guy in the know back in the day. The Orvis shop is looking 


great and Andrew has been increasing all things fly fishing, especially materials, and not just the Orvis brand stuff. So if you need a fly shop to visit take a ride to Princeton. It's in a outdoor mall so there's plenty of food and shops to make it a half a day trip that will satisfy you and your better half. 

     In my pursuit of making my 2002 Silverado new I have been scouring the internet looking for parts. Now I'm looking for body mount bushings to replace what is left which is just about rubber dust. I'm going back and forth between rubber, which is alot more expensive, and poly, which is cheaper but gives a little bumpier ride. Well right now I just about have none so what's the difference. I found some 


seats that were in just about like new condition from a 2006 Silverado and I took the longer than expected 50 minute drive to see them. After walking the entire 100 acre junk yard we found out the truck had been crunched yesterday, seats and all. So that put me behind my planned fishing outing. 

    Timing did matter because although I was as the same time yesterday the river had nosedived, dropping more than 5,000 cfs in 24 hours. I set up the tank and went to work going 3 for 5. The fish were more aggressive than yesterday and I think that may due in part because they could see and 




probably breathe a bit better in clearer water. After the last two came unbuttoned, one a real nice fish, not a monster but nice, I checked the fly and found out why. The first miss must have straightened the hook out a bit. I enjoyed this ill-timed outing and glad to put a few in the tank. Going salty in the AM.


    And just following up on the National Women's Flyfishing Day I see that Orvis (or someone who man's, or women's, the controls at the Mother Ship) felt the need to respond to Diane's reply to Keith. Just so I remind myself, they (all of them) are watching everything we say and do all of the time, and respond only when they choose, "It's my party...."