Sunday, June 11, 2023

06.11.23 I always said a bass a day...


     A bass a day is always good for the soul. While it's really about being out on some water and just fishing, fooling a fish into eating and landing it always feels better. Tonight I watched as bigger fish than the other night swam around looking for a meal. They were rooting, swimming just above the rocks. Maybe they key in on things like their cousins the smallmouth do. A mix of worms, small eels, hellgrammites and maybe even bugs. I have seen rising fish and aren't sure what they are. Maybe bigger bugs attract bigger fish. The one and done above fell to one of my Hackensack River mummichog imitations after lots of watching and waiting. It was pretty much sight fishing as I saw the pack and then the one that took. This was a nice fish, all of 26 inches. As it fought it's buds followed him in almost to the net. It spent some time in the recovery room, the tank, catching it's breath before swimming away strongly. I'm ready for the salt, as soon as my truck is up and running and can make an hours drive.