Saturday, June 10, 2023

06.10.23 Two buds watching the sunset....


     Couldn't lay off not fishing after a long day. The truck situation continues. Today was the day to commit to getting a new transfer case. I took my Mom along for the hike and after an hour and half ride we arrived at Collis Trucks parts up in Bath, Pa. It's an interesting place, occupied by interesting people. Basically it's like a amusement park of everything that is trucks. Just about anything you could need, they have. So I had called ahead to confirm that they had what I needed. I followed the hired help


to another part of the place and loaded up my rebuilt transfer case. It ran $1,400 plus a $200 deposit for the core, which means you have to return your transfer case to get the $200 back. It looked good enough but what do I know. But I'll tell you this by the time Lauren and I try and put it in I will know. I found 


some You Tube videos and it looks relatively easy, famous last words of course. I had borrowed my Dad's new F-150 to make the trip and don't you know the law caught up with us on the return trip. The plates and registration were a tad overdue but the nice officer believed what we told him so he sent us on 


on our way. Once home I eyed up the case and it looked like a perfect match. I threw it up on some ramps and made sure the bolts were rust free and ready to be spun off. I think we are all good to go. 


The other day when Lauren and Brandon were busy diagnosing the transfer case I had mentioned that I had no a/c so they diagnosed that as well. I ordered a new "liquid line" and installed that myself. My thought was the more I could do by myself would mean less time and work for my in family mechanics. I do this because it must be a pain in the ass being a mechanic and having needy family members. 



    And while it was up on the lift Lauren found that one of my tires was all kinds of split on the side walls and and a few were balding. So, I happened to find a set of four on Facebook Marketplace for $150. They aren't rated as Load E but they will do. So it will be a busy after hours at the shop on Monday. We'll see if we can get it all done. I will owe them big time. But how cool is that. 


     So after all that I needed to fish. I had hoped to hit the beach Sunday morning but I didn't want to take my Dad's truck and the tide will be dead low at first light anyway. Even though I had quit the Delaware it was close, it had been relatively cool, and it was the incoming to the top of the tide. As soon as I set up I found a wolf pack of fish mulling around. In it were some keeper sized fish, but as soon as 



my fly hit the water the fish got spooky and moved away. They would come back around but it was more with each cast. Now about the cast. The other night I had made a cast and on one of them the line just parted and it was gone. It was an intermediate line and all I had left was about 40 feet of the running line, but it would do. It was a smaller fly that worked on the one that couldn't resist. It made for some cool pics as the sun set to the west. 

     Before I left I stopped because there were rising fish in the middle of the river. I figured I'd give that a shot but even at high tide there was no water, and no current, along the banks. This spot has been cool


for the tank but I found that that will soon be over as well. Somehow two sections of the stone had fallen in the river some years ago and two replacements were now sitting ready to be installed. That spot was fun while it lasted and soon the entire Trenton waterfront will be a park with easy access to the river from walking paths and rails. I liked it better when it was overgrown and seedy and occupied by the numerous homeless that called that stretch home.