Thursday, June 29, 2023

06.28.23 Two will do....


     I just knew it. With the Delaware up a bit over the last few days and water temps holding I just felt there would be some active fish around. Along the Delaware we've been hit with 1"+ of rain just about everyday since last week. It's done the river good, going from around 3,000 cfs to 20,000. 



     The water temps are down also with the rain, cloud cover and cool nights, now around 72, which is good for this time of year. It was almost that hot two months ago when we had equator like temps and drought like conditions. With the water still You-Hoo colored I wasn't sure how things would go. 




     I looked through my fly collection and picked a larger one which had a bulky head and some extra hackle in the back to give it some life. It didn't take long until the top fish smoked the fly as it swung down in the current. Best part was I saw the take. It went all of 27 inches, although looking at it here there might be some doubt. Somehow that iPhone camera perspective doesn't do it justice. Either way it was a nice fish. 

     This weekends festivities had my tide clock all wrong. I thought I was fishing the incoming but it turns out it was two hours until dead low. Luckily there was enough water in the tub to hold some fish. I caught a smaller fish but that take was witnessed also. This fish was smaller but photographed well. 

     I took a break in the action to head over to the Mercer County Airport to pick up my brother. He took the ride with my Mom back down to Florida and then flew home. After some small talk, and me 


dying to get back down there, I told him where I was and he wanted in. It was two hours later at dead low and the only action was one fish who took a swipe and then blew up on the fly. The next few days could be good out on the river but tide and time of day aren't all that favorable. For me, I'm looking forward to a morning in the salt on Friday and then a weekend down in the Cape. I'm really looking forward to catching my first fluke of the year, and if it's a keeper it's coming home. Funny how I'm so into releasing bass, but so into keeping fluke.