Tuesday, June 13, 2023

06.13.23 "Rain...I don't mind"....

 

     The last I used my windshield wipers was a few weeks ago near the Upper Delaware. It is always a welcome sign when you travel on Route 17. Well, now called Route 86, so there's an old Route 17, and then, I guess a real old Route 17. But the sound of bugs splattering on your grill and windshield was 


always welcoming. It was also like, "Dam man", I wish I could have stayed, as you make your drive home usually late into the night after trying to catch one more evening of big bug hatches or spinner falls. 
     

     But yesterday I had the wipers on as a much needed, like drought needed, rain swept across the Delaware River area. I have a rain gauge station right near my house at Jacob's Creek, a trib of the Delaware River,  so I can see just how much rain we got. In the last 48 hours, and I hope there's more to 


come, we've received .98 inches of rain. Now while that does the lawn and garden good it doesn't do much for the rivers as the ground soak is so strong after not having been wet in some time. What the rain did do was cool the river down a bit, now down to 70, and bump it up a touch to 3,970 cfs, still



almost drought-like conditions, but the bass are still around. Either holding in the oxygen richer moving water in the non-tidal sections or doing the ebb and flow thing and coming up to root around and eat in the tidal zone. If I get mo truck done this week I am try to try mousing up a striped bass in the Delaware River. I've seen too much topwater sips, slams, and blow-ups to not try. 

     And speaking for the mental health/ therapist side of me I thought the below was something worth sharing. It reminded me of the scene in "Walk the Line" where Johnny Cash's brother gets caught in the blade at the saw mill. The last line below says alot, just let it all go, if you can, the past is the past.