Tuesday, February 28, 2023

02.28.23 Alright, here we go Simms...




    So let me start off by saying I was only trying to do the right thing. I ordered a pair of "custom" G3 bootfoot felt bottomed waders from Simms directly in January 2022, and as the box states "Custom waders built for Mr. Colin Archer". I received them and put them into service in March 2022. I purchased and installed the Simms Hard-bite studs before I wore them for the first time. All good.


     I used the waders for the spring into early summer 2022 and then in the fall into early winter. During a fly test in January of this year I noticed both boot "toe" fronts coming undone and collecting sand and 



sticks inside. Wow. That must be a manufacturing thing, let me send them back. This is surely an easy fix and well within the 1 year warrantee Simms hangs their hat on. But let me rewind. After using waders, mostly in the rivers during the spring 2022 season the Simms Hard-bite studs wore down, like really down. So I went into my collection of fishing gear and found some Orvis Posi-Grip studs that were designed for felt bottomed bootfoot waders. I removed two of the Simms Hard-bite studs and replaced them with two of the Orvis Posi-Grip studs. These aren't aluminum gutter screws, they're basically the same thing. To note, it cost me $75 to send them by ground UPS from N.J. to Bozeman. That's on me. Below is my letter sent back to Simms along with my waders.
 

     Last week I went to visit Mom in Florida and when I got home I checked my email. One from Simms stating the following,

     "We're happy to let you know that your item has been shipped". Great I thought. Must have just been a quick re-glue on the boot fronts and I'm all good to go, just in time for the March 1st opener. But then a few emails down from three days earlier there was another Simms email,


And in that email it states, "After a thorough evaluation, we have determined that your product failed for reasons other than defects in workmanship or materials. (Now in bold) We are unable complete a repair that meets our performance standards and the product appears to have reached the end of its serviceable life. When this determination is made, a red stamp is applied to inside of the product. This stamp signifies a product that is no longer eligible for future repairs. Based on the evaluation of it's use...(Here we go, blown gasket coming)...we trust that your Simms product contributed to positive fishing memories". And in the salutation, "Thank You for choosing Simms and we look forward to serving you in the future". I thought I was going to have a stroke. Just as this was all going down the USPS truck rolls up and drops off a package from Simms. In the nice new box were my waders just 




just as I had sent them back to Bozeman, Montana at the end of January. But now they had the Scarlet Letter stamp on the inside. That just infuriated me more. 


     I called the Warranty and Repair Department and no one picked up. My next shot was with customer service. I got a nice enough guy on the phone and explained my story. Now I was pissed, and I think rightfully so. Let's just side with Simms. Don't you think, if this wasn't on them per se, that maybe they'd reach out to the customer and discuss a possible solution, which could include a repair with a bill that I would have been willing to pay? Or would you just send the waders back to New Jersey from Montana with a Scarlet Letter in the waders and the above Dear John letter sent via email. And to note, any customer should be treated as someone in the pro-program, but maybe a tad more consideration?


     So I was good until the agent "went and talked" with the repair guys who told him that any warranty or repair claim "was null and void" due to the off-label studs I installed in the boots. Now I knew I bought and installed the Hard-bite Studs, you can see the pictures, and refer to the original post when I installed them, HERE. And when I ordered my waders in January 2022 I asked if they could install them, but they wouldn't. I then almost lost my shit, and I am sure my tone, and a few select words, confirmed that. But I always try to do the right thing, respectfully. This isn't a wah-wah-wah thing, this shit just ain't right. 


     After I hung up with my blood pressure around stroke numbers I got an email (above) stating I should send pictures showing the bottom of the boots, which you see below. I turned them over, took a pic, sent it. It was then I realized I had installed two Post-Grip studs after seeing the Hard-bite Studs 


ground down and flush with the felt on the bottom of the boots. In that long letter, with lengthy explanation and pictures and blog posts as evidence, I included the screen shot from their website, from several pages, and no where does it say anything about how a warranty would be determined to be void. 


        In a post from the other day I posted about another happy Simms customer who received the same Dear John letter from a guy who ordered waders in October 2022, just a few months ago, and got his letter and waders returned, just like mine. Here it is again, and he too got the stroke inducing line, "we 


trust that your Simms product contributed to positive fishing memories". After he posted it on a fly fishing forum the post blew up, over 330 replies, here's some of what anglers said, 


     Now I'm no tough guy, try not to be an internet keyboard tough guy either. The only time I may come off as an a-hole is when something comes up regarding the ASMFC and striped bass conservation. But this I thought was worth posting, especially since I found other similar situations with Simms. 


     So this morning before jumping on Zoom work stuff I got another, and probably final email, from Simms (above). "Unfortunately the damage to the boot foot caused by those Orvis studs is a clear warranty violation (now I'm a violator) and not something we can fix. (To note while on the original call after the agent talked with the repair person he said "the leaks and damage", I never claimed anything about leaks, they don't leak! See the original letter I sent). We do understand this is a very unfortunate situation. If you want to use your pro account to order a new pair of the custom waders, (they're not really custom, but made to order), and have them rushed then we are more than happy to waive the $65 dollar rush fee for you". And then the knife in the chest, "Just as a reminder professionalism and courteous behavior towards our staff is a condition of the pro-program". 

     Professional and courteous. Can we say Simms handles their customers professionally and courteously? Myself, and the other guy, weren't looking to get over, weren't looking to get something for nothing, weren't claiming that 10 year old waders had something wrong with them that Simms should repair. Both waders, less than a year old, one pair a few months old, and not with daily use on them, just needed a little Simms love. All they had to do was re-glue my "toes" and I would be on my way. I knew that, and was still okay with spending $75 to have the "pros" do it. C'mon man. So I sent my final reply and will now figure out how I will proceed further. One thing, don't you think if a company is going to call a customer a violator, by violating a products warranty, that the rules of engagement should be written and provided to the person purchasing "custom" waders??? I guess not. 


     With my blood still boiling I had to see who I could contact at Simms/Vista for some help. I found a guy, a Montana fly fisherman, named Chris Metz. He might be able to help me out. He just happens to be Vista Outdoors CEO. He's been in that position since 2017. Vista Outdoors is the parent company for 


a bunch of outdoor, binocular, gun, bike, and yes, companies such as Simms. Vista bought Simms last year for $192 million dollars. Surely they could afford a little glue on my boot foot toes. But come to find out early this month the board of directors asked Metz to resign, abruptly, after they voted a "loss of confidence in his leadership". Now Metz ain't leaving the company, he'll stay on as a regular old employee. I don't think he'll mind because he's already cashed in making $3.9 million in 2020, $14 million in 2021, and $12.5 million in 2022. (from salary.com). According to Twin Cities Business, Metz will receive, "a lump sum payment equal to 100% of his current base salary", which is $1,096,154, that's 1.1 million dollars. 

Maybe Metz can just send me some of that Simms boot glue and I'll do the repair myself. 

I am not an influencer. I'm just The Average Angler who was looking to buy one of the best pair of waders out on the market today. I share this so you know what I went through, and what the other guy went through, to avoid it happening to you if you are in the market for some waders before our season starts. I don't know if things are changing in the fly fishing industry, but I'm 0 for 2 the last few days.