Friday, February 10, 2023

02.10.23 Ok, chartreuse, check....


     Alright that should do it. Might be along the line of a lime color than chatruese but that's okay, "It ain't easy being green". I searched through my stuff and found a Squimpish Boutique Blends to use for 


the body tied on top of some white and chartruese bucktail. This fly hasn't had a bath yet and I'll like to se how it all belnds together. I used a Sharpie oil paint marker to color half the head green and a pink 


inside the mouth just for why not's sake. I always cover the inside with some UV just to toughen it up a bit and as an additional measure to secure the popper head to the hook. We've all had them rotate when 


they're not tied and glued in enough. Looking below, I'm not sure if I flared the Squimpsih around the bucktail enough but I'll see that better after a bath. Fly comes in at 6 inches which may be meaty enough for a big fish to eat it. After a trip to the dentist for work on crown #1 of 4 I hit the river to give these 


 a field test. Hey, they're poppers. They float and they make splashes when you retrieve them. While I concerned about the chartruese popper and the blending of the back, it was the below fly that, before it got wet, went a little sideways. As one of my mentors said, "Flies that foul don't catch fish". It never fouled, probably because the marabou held it in check. The black one, with the artuclated shank, really 



nice, and meaty. And the green one was nice. Looked green, very green, and it should be a good fly when the water is churned up good and a tad off-color. Ok, maybe a few smaller poppers to balance out the big ones I now have. I might have one large color combo in my brain if I have any heads left.