Friday, February 17, 2023

02.17.23 Went for some Essox Lucius....


      I was talking to a friend who has a friend, well married to them, and she talked about "there's this place....", so I reached out to her husband and we talked fishing. "So there's this place.....". So I loaded up some of my ugliest striper flies that I thought might pass as something a pickeral, pike, or muskie 


might eat. It was a beautiful spot. One I can't share because I have come to learn that this blog is not unlike any other content providing social media. I have always been about the experience and the setting rather than the hero shot fish picture. Well, I now know I can't do that anymore, and where I was was picture worthy. That was confirmed to me at The Fly Fishing Show....'nuff said about that. 



     As I got to the water I found some wrinkled up shiners that were used for bait either during the day or during an overnight outing. There were remnants of a campfires and a few beers and some food. I 


went through the four flies I brought with me and used them on both intermediate and sinking lines. That fly above, didn't make it home, lost fly of the year #1. I carried the longer tank in so I could photograph a 35+ inch northern pike in the best way possible. If you didn't know, the picture on the top of this post isn't real.....no kidding. But that's what I hoped for. Who caught that fish? This fine young


man above who fished with his parents on a recent mild day. That's a beautiful fish that was returned to water quickly after a great picture. On the way out I passed a can of Del Monte whole kernel corn....duh...that's what I should have used. I guess there's some cats or carp in there also. So for you 


spot creepers and stalkers I'll offer you this below teaser. Here's the spot burn. Go find it and fish it, and don't forget the corn.