Monday, February 20, 2023

02.20.23 Playing around with post-dog bucktail.....


     Well I donated some more bucktail for my dogs enjoyment. Hopefully more of it got chewed than digested. I guess I'll find out when they go out for a walk in a day or two. Bucktail can wreak havoc 


on a dogs digestive syuetm leqaviung them with a bowel obstruction or impaction. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen, or you've seen, deer hair matted down in your dogs stool. But rather than gather them up and throw them out I made a pile of useable pieces and set them aside. Now they wouldn't be 


any good for large flies but they worked well for the above quad of flies similar to a Ray's Fly. Simple, quick, and easy. After the pic I gave them a bath and everything laid down nicely. As I fiddled around I remember reading Bob Pop's book, Pop-Fleyes, about a fly he designed that had multiple flies tied onto a single hook. I turned around and found the page where he described how to tie his Schoolie Fly. I had

nothing to lose so I gave one a shot. His fly calls using a hook that needs to be bent into shape, I jujst went with a tie on top and on the bend. It may not look book-worthy, but I think it might have the same result. When striped bass are raft feeding on schools of small bait maybe two on a hook is better than one? After I wet them down I can where it might be a better offering then just a single tie. Now this  

one is barbaric compared to Popovic's Schoolie but I think with some practice I can get something that is a little more appealing to the eye, but I think this one just might work on a fish.