Thursday, January 26, 2023

01.26.23 Very cool day in regards to fly tying....


     Well I've moved into tying bigger flies. I have learned that I suck at big long mono extensions, but I always new that. I've have learned they are a must when tying bigger flies, no matter how long you make them. So I've been going with short extensions and just tying in two bucktail ties, one for the tail, and then one in front. Then I get jiggy with the synthetics, which adds the bulk. And one 



more thing, dogs love bucktails. I've wondered where some of them went. I noticed my dog struggling while outside trying to push one out and doubled over. A quick check shows where they wound up. Can't be good, they'll learn, and I'll do a better job keeping them out of paws reach. I had to salvage what I could find of the black tail I had, the black tail. Hopefully Brad Buzzi has some more for me this weekend.


     I reboxed my Simms waders for the ride back to Bozeman. I went online and calculated the shipping, and it came to $76 dollars, far better than the $97 quote in the store the other day. I wonder if I couldn't have just given them to the Simms people at the booth this weekend in Edison. 


     For years I have read Popovic's books and have seen his Siliclone and Pop Lips flies. Last year I ordered a bottle of Kodak, yes they are still in business, Photo-Flo and donated a recent tie to the attempt. I didn't go full silicone head, but played enough to see it's magic. God, the silicone just 



head just screams mullet. And while out I hit the Depot to get more crazy glue for the bench. There are a ton of choices and I have found my favorite in LocTite, I prefer the liquid but I find at 



times the gel is better, gives you better control. The Gorilla glue comes out to much, as the opening is wider than the Loctite. When you need just a tab the opening is perfect and just comes out a bit. 


     I wanted to hit the beqauty supply stoire before I went and spent a fortune at TFFS this weekend on materials. I asked if they had any yak hair, all they had was Yaki hair, so I just shopped around. Those wigs and some of the stuff is a small fortune but I found the ghetto aisles and looked around.




     I settled on this, Maxx Volume, sounds good for big flies and for $3.99 howe could I go wrong. The stuff is cheap, long, and kinky enough to add bulk and air to a fly. Some of the other hair/wig products are straighht hair, human or synthetic and I don't think would be as effective. 





     I went and opened it up and liked what I felt. I wound up mixing in some other stuff, just a tad here and there, during the tie. As always a bucktail base, some SF Blend, some Matson Mix, and some Squimpish for color. I blended in some flash to give it some life. 


      While I was tying the dogs started going ballistic. I checked outside and a package was delivered. Yesterday I ordered some "Devlin Blends" from Captain Ian Devlin. He hand belnds either yak or Slinky Fiber with flash. It's similar to Sf Blends, but different. There is a resurgence in synthetics, in my opinion, as a lot of fly anglers are looking to match the hatch with the bigger baitfish, particularly bunker. And for those, like me, that can't seem to get the Beast Fleye or bucktail down, literally tapered down, synthetics offer length, and foregiveness. If you would like to try some of his blends you can find Ian on Facebook, or drop me a line. On my tie I used a little 



of his "Bunker Back" for a little volume and color. Below is the finished product. About 20 minutes of work. Over 10 inches long. And below is shown without any UV, trimming, or bath. It is so full and will surely move a lot of water, but shed it at the same time. The pictures, with the iPhone, don't do it justice. Not that it's perfect, but it will do fine. And if I don't need the material I can 

always weave myself some nice hair extensions and attach them to whatever hair I have left on my head. This weekend is The Fly Fishing Show in Edison, Friday to Sunday. Not sure how it will be but I'll there one day, spending too much money as always.