Tuesday, January 17, 2023

01.18.23 Three and a half out of four ain't bad....


      Tuesday's my day at home so I of course made it a point to bang out some flies after getting Theresa off to work. I gave JT's Hollow another try, this time using way more ostrich, along with some bucktail and Squimpish. Much, much better. My favorite was the one below, a different tie, which I call "My Precious", because it looked so good during the tie, above, and in the water. 



     I went down before the rain and put each fly through the ringer. A bunch of casts, a bunch of strips, and a bunch of swimming in the current. No fouling. All looked sweet. I love big eyes. 




     The only one that was a tad funky was the below fly, however it swam beautifully. I didn't realize how long the hackles were in the vice, and they were long in the water, just too long. "My Precious"





was just about as good as it gets for me, and if I went into the season with a quiver full of them I wouldn't need any others. Below is what they looked like after the swim, I'll give the top one a half a point but the rest full honors, mostly because how good they looked during the river test. When I got home I tapered the hackle which made it look a little less jerky.