Wednesday, January 25, 2023

01.25.23 I got Martha's Vineyard on my mind.....


       For those that flyfish there are places we like to fish, and there's places we love to fish. For me, wherever it is, the Upper Delaware, or other rivers, or the beach and jetties, being on foot rather than in a boat is my favorite. Over the years as my life has moved me around I have found myself gravitating to enjoying fishing the rivers and bays just a bit more than the ocean. Now that's not to say I don't love 


those spots along the Jersey Shore where I cut my teeth about 14 years ago. But "out front" has changed, either due to the historic storms we've had, changes in structure, the disasterous beach replenishment, or the changing patterns of bait and bass migration. I've never been one for blitz fishing, but it's nice to run into it once or twice a season. Last year was the fall of blitz fishing at it's best.


     One of my favorite places to travel to fly fish for striped bass is Martha's Vineyard. I just love it. Some Jersey anglers travel north to their favorite spots, Montauk, Block Island, the Cape Cod Canal and the Cape itself, or to the islands off Massachusetts like MV and Nantucket. Before the Vineyard, Newport was always a place I loved to wet a line during one of my vacations up there. It was never a fishing trip, but I always had a rod and waders ready if the chance, and my partner, allowed. 


      Why the Vineyard? Well, for one thing, it's a trip with borders. There's a start and end date, and in-between there is a lot of strategy and tactics that go into it. Wind, tides, sun, or not, morning, midday or night- all things considered each day, because, it is a fishing trip, or should be. I started going to Martha's Vineyard in 2014 after graciously being invited by some of the nicest fly fishing guys I know. 


     I have made the trip each year except in 2022. Even though I fished a lot in New Jersey in June, I still missed it. Over the years the players who have made the trip have changed. What started out as a boys trip morphed into a wives trip for a few years......and that was just dandy. Theresa joined me for two of those trips and let me say, they were the best.....but I'm good with that. And I'm a lucky guy, Theresa put on the waders and grabbed a rod and gave it a go, several times, for about 20 minutes. 



If Theresa and I were to go back I would do it in February, or just leave the fly rods home. It is impossible, for me, to enjoy fishing for striped bass in MV with having to worry about anything else, like quality time, shopping, or even eating, and showering, c'mon man. Those who aren't in the know, just don't know. How many times was I absent from the moment looking through the racks at Vineyard Vines or sitting at a "wonderful" dinner just thinking of the tides and weather and moon phases...I just couldn't wait to go fishing. It doesn't matter if I have a $40 dinner or a shitty 


sandwhich in my belly. Where's my ladder, do I have what I need, enjoy yourself, I'll be back. Two years ago Leif and I brought the ladies up for a lovely trip. Leif and I did get to fish a lot and we appreciated our partner's cooperation and tolerance, and that was nice, once. So as winter appraoches us now with the talk of some snow and blustery temps this week I think to those days on the flats. Hours upon hours watching, wading, and staring into a sandy bottom, back and forth, back and forth, searching for shadows of approaching bass. I can't tell you how many times I've set up and made casts to horseshoe crabs, cabbage, and flotsam that makes it's way in and out with the tides. Or how many times 


I've been snuck up on by a single or a wolf pack because of cloud cover or waves that prevent you from seeing the bass until it's too late. Since my start there I have learned of the hey-days of fishing Cape Cod and MV. Years ago big fish, 15-25 pounders, would patrol the flats seeking an easy meal. For


my times there it has been mostly hard work for one, or a night of over 50, but most fish are in the 20's, inches that is, to a "good" fish which is over 30 inches. But that's okay, for me it's not just big fish I seek there. It's where they are and how I like to catch them. When the conditions are right it can be magical


either sight fishing the flats or working the numerous outflows and bridges that are found all around the island. What's nice about the timing is we always went before "in season" hit, which brings a combination of large crowds and expensive rents. But a quick search this year shows that the "in season" must start in May, because the costs are exorbitant. 

     It's funny as we get older the trips sound like a great idea. But then age and excuses set in. What sounds like a great idea, say in December, just brings anxiety and doubt as the days close in on the trip. But if you do make the plans, and stick with it, regardless of where your go-to place is, you can find yourself standing there, if the stars and fish and weather line up, enjoying your favorite place, and your favorite fish, catching them your favoritye way.