Saturday, January 7, 2023

01.07.23 A Beast, a good one, is coming...


     Looking good, but maybe a little torpedo like. This give's me a dozen of pretty much the same fly, plus the Beast attempt. This one is keeled and I broke out the Plastic-Dip just to stiffin in up a bit. 


     While looking through some tubes and envelopes I found an old Andrew fly tucked inside. I ran it through my fingers and was contemplating breaking out my latest disaster for comparison. No need for that. One thing is for sure, Andrew, and the other guys who has mastered the Beast, must pick


out the creme of the crop when it comes to bucktail. This stuff could put you to sleep if someone fanned your face with it as your laying there on the couch. No big hollow fibers, no stiffness, and really a perfect diameter which kaes it easier to reverse tie in. So I staretd looking at his technique.


     This fly has 10 ties on the mono extension and then 4 more on the hook itself. Just a hint of color inside and some olive gives it enough of a contrast to really make it pop and look like something edible. I can't imagine trying to manage my fingers tying in 10 reverse ties on an extension. Each one is sparse, but all together just looks perfect. I think he's tied this one up on a 4/0 Predator hook. I'll keep tying away, and try and get away from the torpedo shaped flies I've been banging out.