Thursday, January 12, 2023

01.12.23 How about a little birthday walleye fishing....




    So why not some birthday walleye fishing? Well, it's not my birthday, but it is Theresa's so I thought I would celebrate it by going fishing. So my birthday was yesterday, and Theresa's is today, both Capricorns. And what does that mean? Could that explain why we get along like two peas in a pod, two bugs in a rug, or, at times, like oil and water? Interestingly, and I'm not sure why, but all of my four serious relationships in my life all were Capricorns. High school sweetheart of three years, both of us were Janaury 11th and same birth year, marriage #1, December 29th, second January 5th, and Theresa the 12th. So I looked online to see if there was one of those astrological explanations of two Caps coming together, is it something in the stars? Oh yeah, pic of the two of us above was taken at the Keswick Theatre in Pennsy last Saturday were she took me to see a RUSH cover band, YYNOT, that was my Christmas gift. See we're like besties....So let's see what they say about us.


     So we have a lot of respect for each other, excited to make our dreams come true, and we "take a calm and practical approach to deal with any disagreements"..... And then further, "expect romantic dates where a limosine stands outside the gate....", squash, table tennis, swimming and jogging, and the best, "enjoying the wealth they accumulated". So on the flip side what do the stars say about the negative things when two Caps come together, 


     Well, ouch. I like the squash explanation better......anyway, Happy Birthday Theresa!


     So back to fishing. Working from home today but with the mild weather I took a shot and went....walleye fishing. I've never walleye fished but did manage one this spring while doing the striped 


bass thing. So off I went, looking for eddys and slower water where they may be laying. I hear it's a low and slow thing with a very subtle take, sounds kind of like a tog nibble, after almost not even stripping your fly in. So I fished for a bit, and then took a look at my fly, another Predator hook failure...just gone. For



kicks I went up to Lambertville and fished below the wing dam. Now walleye are more nocturnal eaters and I hear they perk up after their I think February spawning. It was fun, no takers, but at least I was fishing for a little over an hour. And now to the fly tying portion of the day. Last night Mike and I had 


a hoot of a conversation about fly tying and Jim Matson. We talked about tying with mono extensions and reverse ties, and Hollow techniques, and then Mike mentioned Jim and his, of course, Nutty Professor way of fly tying. Years ago Jim gave me the below jig to tye up mono extensions. Mike couldn't believe that I had it. I've had it but it has sat on the side of my table for years. Like his boat, he's the only one who really understands it because he developed and used it. Well, Mike and I struggled through trying to remember how he laid in the bucktail, and then used some plastic tubing and then did this and that and soon it was done. Jim tied quickly, and developed things for him to tie more efficiently. So below is the jig. Tomorrow I am heading out to see Laura so I might wander down into the laboratory and see if there's anything else that goes with this invention. I can't wait. 



     Last year I lost so many flies in the jungle of the Delaware bottom I figured I better get some other than hook down done. So I used some big eyes that Leif gave me, glued on my new favorite eyes, and basically banged out a big Clouser, and 8 inch one. Feathers, SF Blend, Squimpish and bucktail all inside. It looks heavy but it's not. Last year I did good on the darker, black, white, tans, so I have to keep remembering to chose some darker colors, although, again, black bucktail is hard to find. With this weather we are having my mind is telling me the bass will be here soon. If I predict a first fish say March 20th, that's 68 days away......that's a long time.