Tuesday, December 28, 2021

12.27.21 "Juan made me do it...."



     I don't always chase internet fishing reports, but some times I do. Believe it or not, its not about catching a striped bass, its more about learning about where you can catch striped bass. And more specifically, its more about learning how adaptable striped bass cane be to a variety of environments. Like, lets say, able to hang at Red Beach in Martha's Vineyard and amongst the debris and dead bodies floating in the Passaic River. Its the same thing in the Delaware River, it amazes me. 






     So my man Juan fishes local to him. Loves it. On Christmas Eve Santa brought him a 40 inch striped bass. I had to go. So I left Mercer County and headed to Hudson County before rush hour. I got there on the falling tide and decided to leave the leaky Simms felt bottom waders in the Vue and went with the other pair, which is good for the viscous, sucking, never -get-it off-your hands mud that lines the river. Before light and fished a black Deceiver and after fished a Ugly As Fly both without getting a tap. 





     While in the area I went and drove past my new employer's office, Essex County College in Newark. I will start teaching at the college where I graduated in 1995 this upcoming spring semester. Its a tenure track position, so like a real deal faculty spot. My first class will be teaching the clinical rotation at Clara Maas Medical Center in Belleville and then a mix of nursing and psych classes. All of this scooting and discovering that I have done this year should serve me well if my new pursuits take me along the NJ Turnpike corridor from Trenton to Newark. While I have always just thought of our striped bass fishery as a bay and beach thing I have discovered there are far more opportunities to catch striped bass. Now, the access may be harder on the feet and the views harder on the eyes, but I will have ample shots at bass off the much beaten and fished path next year. 

     And as I drove though the quiet city I came across Rescue Co. 1 out in front of the firehouse on Clinton Avenue. I was lucky enough to serve 11 years in Rescue 1 before getting promoted and assigned to Engine 12 and then Truck 1. Since I left the job both of those companies were disbanded as the city downsized the department, both in manpower and apparatus. 


      With only a few days left in the bay and river season I made a left and hit the Raritan River for a few casts as the tide just started to move back in. I stood on the rocks I did the other night, obviously a lot less water, and no poachers around as that is a night time job. The way "out back" fished this fall it will sure to be a shit show come March when the bays and rivers open back up. 



     As far as the beach is concerned, well for those still in the mood there has been a nice pick of sub-28" fish along the beaches. Leif sent me a pic of this fish that he caught scaled down to a 7wt rod. What is crazy are the water temperatures out front. Take a look and find your closest beach, these are current from when I write this at 6 am December 28th, if they stay up there will be fish to be caught after the New Year.