Wednesday, April 4, 2012

04.04.12 Pre-dawn over/unders off the rocks


     I didn't get home from our TU board meeting till 11 last night so when the alarm went off at 410 am I considered hitting the snooze button, I am glad I didn't. After the last few days and the strong winds had me casting sideways and every which way it was nice to have a calm morning to fish. Not that I don't like fishing in snotty weather.
     I fished the end of the flood and fished the middle of the groin where I quickly hooked up with the above fish. I had to walk it back to the beach to land it and grab a pic before it quickly snapped to and swam off. The only thing that bothered me was that I had forgot to smash the barb and it was a roof-of the-mouth-hookset which made the removal I am sure a little unpleasant. In the end there were four of us and probably 6 fish all 26-28 inches in size.

The cool story from yesterday was the guys were fishing and found an alive 5-6 lobster in the wash. Not wanting to risk death from eating it they cut the tail off and baited a hook with it and shortly thereafter caught a striper. One guy thought it was worth the risk and took the claws home.

I wonder if they sell lobster scented spray at the local tackle shop?