Wednesday, February 8, 2023

02.08.23 Needed to tie up some topwater.....


     After looking through my flies I realized I better widen my selection of offerings. I took some time to gather up the short cuts I had laying around my table and threw them on a hook for flies in size 1/0 and 2/0. Then I saw I only have a lame selection of poppers. So I went to worka and sadly think I wasted my time on the below fly. It has an articulated shank hanging out the back,



pretty much uncalled for for a fly that goes under 6 inches, but I tried it. When I hold it in my hand the action out the back is really nice, justy I tied it a little longer. I added palmered marabou to both flies so it doesn't have the popper neck, as seen above. I didn't have any black Eztaz to fill the gap so I went with the marabou which will breathe a little bit when swam in the water.  


      Some might say you don't need big popper flies, as in length, because the fish get attracted to the noisy and splashy head of the fly. But, in the rivers, when retrieving not across and down, but up, outside of the channel, swimming a popper back up can work as well. Fish on bigger baits, I think, will like those longer flies, plus there's some contrast if they're looking up. The smaller fly may pass


for a peanut bunker, or not. After I saw the pics I used some scizzors to taper it down a bit. The marabou will fall and breathe so I'm not worried about that. I look forward to something big blowing up on the larger popper. Just a few more weeks, but longer I feel for any type of topwater action.