Monday, August 6, 2012

08.06.12 Heading up to the Upper Delaware for a week of kids camp


     Got a call last month from Joe D asking if I would like to help teach a fly fishing camp for kids from the Hancock, NY area. It sounded like a great opportunity and well, this is the week. One thing I do hate is trying and crossing over from salt to fresh or fresh to salt frame of mind. I ran around this morning trying to find my freshwater fly fishing gear and load up the family putt-putt before I headed out.
     Recently Dan Plummer and Sheri Resti had some kids from that area out teaching them fly casting. I know several groups like FUDR have been trying to expose our kids to the sport of fly fishing. Orvis is running their Fly Fishing 101, 201, and 301 classes with much success.


     Hopefully the weather will be good and not to hot for the kids, or the staff!, and maybe after the day I'll get to wet a line on the upper West Branch since that's the only game temperature wise up there now. Below is a graph from the Delaware River Club blog showing today's river line-up,

West Branch at Stilesville, NY350 cfs @ 48º
West Branch at Hale Eddy,NY377 cfs @ 53º
East Branch at Harvard,NY153 cfs @ 61º
East Branch at Fish’s Eddy,NY626 cfs @ 71º
Mainstem at Lordville,NY886 cfs @ 72º
Beaverkill at Cooks Falls,NY353 cfs @ N/A
Cannonsville Reservoir Level & Release74.1% – 325 CFS release