Wednesday, September 30, 2026

09.30.26 Well, the fat lady hasn't sung just yet...

 

     Well that was worth $185. We took the pick up to Clearview Automotive for a total, and I mean total, pre-purchase inspection. They test drove it had it on the lift for 90 minutes. The mechanic brought Theresa and I back and we got the full diagnosis, the potential remedies, and recommendation on if it's a good truck or not. The good, "It's a clean truck", "Nothing catastrophic", and the bad, "It needs some attention to make it road worthy". Ouch. And then he started pointing things out.

     Now I know it's 16 years old and has a ton of miles. The new trans the dealer put in, not to worry. They go all the time and putting one in isn't a big deal. The puddle under the truck after running it, well that's not good. 


     What is it about used trucks down here and the radiators? Like the big Silverado we looked at last week this one blew the radiator as well. I'm not sure if I just missed this or it happened during the test drive. But it needs to be replaced, like now. And then there's two oil leaks. One at the "Oil 


adapter plate" and one small leaking valve cover gasket, which he said, "If you replace one you might as well do both". He also had a list of other things, either not part shattering nor a deal killer, that have to be addressed at some point. Things like wiper blades, the step rails, a TPMS (tire sensor), and a bulb or two. But the big ones, the radiator, the valve cover gaskets, and the oil adapter plate, he gave us a parts and labor price on. The big three can be done for $1,515.57. 


     He provided us his report and estimates in a very thorough report. I was amazed, first, that the used car dealer let me take it for over two hours, and the shop offered this type of service, and were as thorough as they were. We then went back to the dealer, before stopping to put some


gas in it to make it back to the lot. And yes the gas gauge works, it was just on dead empty. We then had a sit down with the owner's son who was manning the lot. "Wow, I didn't know that, we'll have to get it all fixed for you". What? What kind of used car salesmen are these guys? Honest. Transparent. And not defensive in any way. They kind of left me shaking my head. My thinking was to get him to come off the price by a thousand or so and I'd handle it, but he insisted he wanted to make it right, and would provide all the documentation that it was done correctly. Is this an episode of The Twilight Zone? 


     Before we left I snapped a shot of the two trucks sitting side by side. With these new developments any final deals won't be made before we head back to New Jersey. Of course, they said they will make it right and hold it for me? Again, WTF am I missing here? 


     We were pretty much fried from all the truck stuff so we headed for lunch at a little recommended hole in the wall Mexican restaurant. I've never been but sitting there I felt like I was. It was lunchtime and the constant stream of workers and non-workers confirmed we were in a good place. I'm lucky we ate early because I don't know how chimichanga's and running up and down the court would go together. 

     I got to the gym at 5 and hour early before my debut on the court. I stretched, I biked, I stair climbed, I shot around.....I waited. And no one showed up. Not one.


     At 557 I said to Theresa, "No one's coming to play, I'm hitting the hot tub". Kinda like a little kid waiting for his Dad to show up. I later went on the app for the mens league and saw that guys decide, virtually, if they are coming or not if there's enough, or the right, people coming to play. Now they'll have to wait over a month to get a piece of me.