Saturday, September 19, 2026

09.19.26 "Sure, Ridgeland, I'll just move the fence.."

     Easy words to say, not an easy task to do, especially alone. Thank God the humidity has slowed dissipated this past week and I only had to deal with straight up heat, at 93 degrees during the hottest part of the day. 

     Basically what I'm doing is just moving the fence back over onto my property line and cutting it down so the blind corner that was created doesn't exist anymore. I have some of the tools that I 


need for not all of them. The biggest thing I miss is my transit. It's very hard to find level across a yard with some yard and a 6-foot level. Adding to the challenge is cutting down the fence from 6 foot to four. You just can't do that in a yard that has different elevations. 

     The fence, and there's a lot of it, is well constructed. It was built in October 2025 for $11,900. The same contractor wanted $1,200 to move it, like I'm doing. I learned a few things on day 1. Lowcountry soil is mainly a grayish-sand, kind of like I saw in Millstone, Central Jersey. That was a relief and the $20


That was a relief and the $20 Facebook Marketplace post hole digger worked just fine. But the big lesson learned was that you can't just deconstruct a section and stack it for when you are ready to reinstall. Almost before my eyes the boards I unscrewed and took dawn would warp right in front of my eyes. So after I learned that, I had to have my posts done, rails in place, and then unscrew a board and run it over before it realized it was free. 


     Above is the bear of the project. A 10 foot long six foot high homemade gate that has to be moved. It's going to be a challenge not only laying it out correctly but moving it into position. And this too has to be shaved down to a four foot height. 


     And I think I've found the location for the outdoor shower. It'll be a small stall and I can use the wood I have to construct it. It'll be meant for one person so size isn't and issue. I'll get to that after the fence is done. 

     I saw something comical on Facebook. It basically pokes fun at the insect handoff that it's occurring down in the Lowcountry now. It went from mosquito to love bug season. 


     When you drive through the love bugs it's like driving on Route 17 through Roscoe when there's hatch. I'm told they are attracted to white vehicles and the sperm or whatever love juices they excrete cause permanent damage to a cars finish. So that's another reason to get rid of the Suburban. 

     I told Theresa I was going to get up and out of here by 5 am today. It's now 8 o'clock and I'm sitting here dreading the day. I have to go one way to Home Depot and then the other to Ridgeland. I need some lumber and some concrete, and that's why I need a pickup. That old Silverado I had was perfect for what I need down here. 


     I paid $2,800 for that one and it served me well. One thing is for sure trucks down here are a small fortune, even beaters with 250,000 miles on them. I guess it's because they're southern trucks, which means no salt and no rust for the most part. 

Hopefully back to fishing this week after the fence is done.