Saturday, September 5, 2026

09.05.26 First good rain at The Guide House, I can't with that name...

 


     Got to spend some time up in Ridgeland doing a little yard work and organizing inside the inside of the structure..... I say structure because I still can't come up with a name that fits this place. It's on a corner, Colin's Corner, nope, The Boat House, nope, The Fly Shack, someone else has that, The Guide House, it's not a house and it doesn't fit. The Carport? The Barn? The Hovel? The Fly Hut? Anyway, it'll come to me but it's annoying. 


     While there I also did some layout for moving that fence that's off in the distance in the picture above. I'm having some thoughts, although it creeps Theresa out, to just clean the place up and use it rather then have a whole demo and reconstruction. A coat of paint inside and some air conditioning and it could be a great place to hang and tie flys. In the future I can see one of those Amish type built sheds on the property. 


     I would rather spend my time and money getting the place, one in fence compliance, and then spruced up for the neighborhood. I think board and batten siding would look great and will be a 


good replacement for the T1-11 siding that's there, with a lot of it rotted away along the foundation. I saw that the water does during a good rain yesterday and it pretty much runs off the metal roofs and down along the house, aka, shack, shed, hovel, workhouse.


     I first want to start with the walls around the garage. It should be, my famous last words, pretty easy to remove and then put up Hardie sheets, or fiber cement panels, which will clean it up a a lot. Luckily in town there's a county recycling facility and they take construction debris. I just need something, like a beater pick up, to get the materials and then get rid of the debris. 

     Like most other days the heat builds to a point and then it downpours. Then it's comfortable before the oven gets cranked up a bit. Yesterday there was a late day high tide so I went and took a look. These photos of water, trees, and grass will have to do until I find the fish. 


     I had company yesterday as another fly rodder was working the same flat. After the water filled it we talked and he said he one tailing redfish, as I did, but neither had a good shot. One of the things I saw, and learned, was that, I believe, is that some of those larger wakes in skinny water are huge mullet. I've seen smaller fish and shrimp, but these are the corn cob sized type. 

     And in the striped bass scene Charlie, aka Bunky Limpert, took a break from chasing largemouth and muskie and put his 19 foot Lowe out into the big blue ocean, and he didn't regret it. 


     Charlie was live-lining mackerel off the coast of Maine when this 47-inch fish bit. Charlie said fighting and landing this fish while alone wasn't easy. One of the things I had to question was does a fish that size, now way up in Maine, take the trip south to outside of the Chesapeake in a few weeks? Or do these fish stay and winter over up in New England. Some tracking tags would be cool in order to follow these migratory, or not, large female striped bass.