Sunday, April 16, 2023

04.16.23 Another twenty hours....


     What a way to end a miserable four days of fishing. This evening I fished it hard. Picked fishy spots that should have held fish but there was none for me. Had one small fish follow but didn't commit. When I got back to my truck, disgusted, I threw my keys in, hit the lock button, and closed the door. I watched it all happen but couldn't stop it. Luckily I found my way in with the help of a neighbor who had a metal hanger. As far as fishing, very little participation on the shore and only a few by boat. I didn't see anyone catch, but come to learn later there were a few fish caught. Fish are being caught on plugs but for some reason they aren't taking flies, even big herring flies. 


     I've been covering new water, which is nice, but the same results. It's getting frustrating this year. With the warm temps the river is hot for this time of year coming in at just under 64 degrees. And even 


though we got hit with a good amount of rain I think the ground sucked it all in and whatever runoff just bumped the flows up a bit they are already dropping. Some off color water is good as the fish have to 


commit quicker. The water has been gin clear. I have seen some herring which is good as far as bait is concerned. I'm not sure what the rest of spring will bring but I just can't commit myself to the drive east to fish. Add an hour plus each way plus fishing time and the whole day is shot. 

     I'm hearing from friends that the out front bite has started to pick up, and not just on bait, but plugs and shads and even flies. The fishing has probably moved from the back of the bays and rivers to closer to the ocean, or the mouths of those rivers where fish travel to spawn. The ocean side boat bite has also heated up with big fish finding bunker in all parts of the water column. 

     For now I'm staying put. I want to catch my fish, in my spots, the way I want to. Being fly or die, and resisting the boat trips, definitely greatly reduces the chance of catching fish, at least at here. I spent the winter getting ready and tying up a bunch of flies that should have worked. None of my big flies have 


produced yet, which is a little disappointing. Some of them look good in the water I just can't one bit. With the Jersey shut down from Trenton to Salem from March 1st to May 31st it has made things a little frustrating. There is a positive side, it has forced me to learn and fish new spots, but all the hard work hasn't produced for me just yet. We'll see.