Wednesday, April 12, 2023

04.12.23 C'mon man, we have to do better....


      On my way to work yesterday. Little bit of a later start but still steady traffic heading to Essex County College. I take the same path every time. It's neighborhood, not all the best, that I am familiar with. I sat in traffic about 10 cars deep heading to the light at Murray Street and Sherman Avenue. When the light turned green I couldn't figure out why people were taking so long to pull through. Then as I got to the intersection I saw the lifeless body of a man laying in the street. I pulled over as car after car passed by. When the light turned green the other way those people drove past by, while looking also. WTF? 

     It didn't look good so I snapped a shot from my hip on the way over to the man. If it was a crime scene I wanted to document it before I moved him or rendered any aid if he was still viable. This was a son, brother, father, friend, or just another human being. Why would no one stop?

    So I got down and yelled, "Sir, are you okay?". I thought for sure he got by a car as the angle of his limbs didn't look all that normal. He had a fist full of dollars in his hand that I was surprised had made it past the gawkers and walkers that went by before I saw him. I didn't expect him to have a pulse so I was shocked when he responded back in a gravely voice. So I helped him, got him onto his crutches, and got him over to the sidewalk. He very slowly walked away. 

     It left me feeling a little empty. What is wrong with humanity these days? Just felt sad that this has become the world I live in. Hey, even if it's daytime and you may be a little leary or feel unsafe, at least pull to the side and call 911. It could be you laying there or someone you know or love. We have to do better than this.