Thursday, April 6, 2023

04.06.23 What it's like waiting to get on a bite...



     Yep, it's part of the sickness. Sitting in a lull in work waiting, just waiting. It's go time, and fishing when you can means pulling all-nighters or late nighters, and then doing it all over again the next day.


     I hit a new spot, well a new river altogether today. I had the place to myself. Lower water but it was fun fishing trout-like kinda pocket water. It wasn't the most picturesque place I've wet a line but it was 


fine. I had about and hour to fish before heading to work. After I peeled my old waders off my needs-a-skin-graft left heel wound I stepped back a took a look at my ride. 55 years old....really? McDonald's, old milk containers, and a mix of teaching and fishing stuff thrown in together. This weekend at 

some point I'll have to really take some time and clean the truck out. It's that time of year when nothing, well almost nothing, really matters. You gotta go when the fish are where you want to catch them when they are there. And the seven places, well six, I really like to fish are giving up good bass....now. 


     So I blew out of work when the bell hit and hit the river. Perfect, perfect, perfect conditions. The right tide, time of day, water level, bait, everything. Everything except a bite. I had the place to myself and my casts, except the two that wound up in the same tree, were long and close to perfect. I was frustrated to say the least. They should have been there, or should have eaten, maybe they had lockjaw. I was very surprised and happy when I got home to find the above package from Orvis. Yes! And with so many perfects today, this was perfect timing. My heels are killing me. So I opened the package and went 


right to work. I found my drill and screwed the Posi-Grip studs into the Michelin soled bottoms. Orvis does a nice job showing you wear to screw in the studs and even provide the drill bit. I'm off today and it will be a great shakedown trip for these waders. It'll be interesting to wear stockingfoot waders which I haven't worn in years. And a quick prediction- today I'll get a 20 pound fish.