Saturday, August 20, 2022

08.20.22 Better day yesterday...


     Better day yesterday. Thanks for all the thoughts and kind words. Theresa and I decided to do something different while down at our place in Cape May. We jumped on the Lewes-Cape May Ferry and hit Delaware. It felt like we were heading over to Martha's Vineyard from Falmouth. I didn't go this year, and I felt it missing from my spirit, next year I'm going back, even if it's for a day or two. I can't tell you how much I miss fishng around Menemsha. 







     We caught the 12 noon ferry and after the hour and twenty minute ride from Cape May we arrived in Lewes, Delaware. $18 a person round trip, $80 for a car which we didn't take, and after a walk and a bite to eat and some shopping we hit the 615 back over to Cape May. If you haven't done this put it on your list, Smooth ride, great weather, great views, good times. A nice day trip. 


     Recently I have been facinated with most things Delaware River. I've been doing a lot of reading and research and, early on, have deducted that during these current times the Delaware River is the healthiest it has been in hundreds of years. And, while not back to historic numbers, like in the early 1800's, in terms of migratory anadromous fisheries, the numbers of shad, herring and striped bass have rebounded and are increasing each year. Well maybe the river herring have some catching up to do. But I'll have more on that at a later date after some interviews I plan on doing with fisherman that have fished my newer home waters for years. 

     But back to the Delaware Bay. This spring I fished the Cape May area of the bay wihout success. I spoke with anglers who were doing well, before and after I was there, on large striped bass that were returning to the salt after making the 100 +/- journey upriver for the spawn. What I couldn't wrap my head around was the appearance of poor water quality in the bay. The water was stained, a little less than Yoo-Hoo, but not very visually appetizing to fly fish in. But there was bait, and the dolphins were on them just outide of the jetties that lead to the Cape May Canal. 

     Yesterday I looked over the rail of the ferry "Delaware" and saw a stark difference in the water quality and appearence, especially after crossing over the shipping channel. The Jersey side was cloudy and brown, while the Delaware side was clean and green. I don't know why that is. I know there is a large flat along the Jersey Bay side that extends way out from the beach that can seen and walked, except its thick grey to black mud, for some distance out until it drops off. I wonder if the bass enter the river or return more in the middle or on the Delaware side. Just something that struck me as interesting. 




     The ride home was pretty and as we neared port you could see the throngs of people lined up along Sunset Beach and the Town Bank beaches waiting for the sun to set. The beginning of fall has arrived. It's still 80 degrees during the day but the night temps are down in the 60's. The back bays and rivers are choked with young of the year baits, mullet, peanut bunker and white bait and soon the fall migration will begin. We are less than 30 days from the "mullet run", whatever that means as it changes from year to year. While September used to be the start of better fishing, it seems that there's a flurry in September, then a long pause through October before November really kicks things off. In the next few weeks school will be back in swing and there is a noticeable difference in the amount of people down in Cape May. Since last weekend the numbers have dropped considerably. 


     While searching online for the shipping channel map in the Delware Bay I found something online that will add to a internet fishermans dream. It's a website called Marine Vesel Traffic. It is a radar of all AIS equipped vessels that are in port, in the bays and rivers, and in the ocean. It is updated every 2-3 minutes. So if you ever wanted to creep on your favorite head or charter boat, or see if your spouse is really out fshing and not with thier side hustle, then this is a place to play around. What any easy way for the Coast Guard to catch violators fishing the EEZ, which is outside the three mile line. 


     Before I hit the rack last night I took a few pics of our "shore house". What's funny but thats's what I call it. Others say campground or trailer park but for us its a slice of heaven and the only way we could ever have a place near Cape May. For us its perfect and we are actually "waterfront" as just past the patio you can walk to, and kayak, from Bennet Creek out to Jarvis Sound or Cape May Harbor. Haven't explored that yet but one day I will.