Monday, August 1, 2022

08.01.22 Back in the yak....


     Well today I went 0-1 on the snakeheads. But finally 0 for something. A 10 foot kayak for a grown man casting a fly rod isn't all that pretty to watch. I shared the moat with a nice guy who just purchased a 13 foot Hobie and I watched him stand up and cast for the hour or so while I was there. I'm not getting one of those fishing kayaks! But I was a little jealous.

      Spent my time nearly horizontal making casts to a nothing showing swamp. Haven't seen a frog get blown up on yet and I'm at the point I might just go catch 20 of them and throw them out to see what would really happen. But I did make a cast into a clearing where I saw some movement and don't you know a snakehead torpedoed out of the water and missed my frog fly by about two feet. But hey, it was something for the split second it lasted. It wasn't that far away and I got a look at the whole fish as it cleared the water. It looked like about 20 inches. I'll take it.


       After six I took a ride down to the main river. The water temps are just a little north of 75 degrees so it's safe to fish where stripers may be and not target them. I was looking for anything that would bite, specifically a smallmouth or walleye. I saw three striped bass, one on the chunky side, but nothing else. Below is my buddy Bruce's new sled, an 18 foot SeaArk which is a bigger boat than his last and a jet drive over a prop, which is needed in the mine field that is the Delaware River.