Friday, August 18, 2023

08.17.23 On Ryan's would be 27th it's time to let something go....

 

     Today would be, well is, his 27th birthday. Only thing is he's not down here to celebrate it. I hope he's having a hoot with the rest of the people up in heaven. Like I had said the other day I usually start his birthday morning at first light on Ryan's Rock on Phillips Avenue in Deal. Since I had a magical morning there a few days ago I decided to break tradition and do something else. 

     But first about Ryan. Born August 18, 1996. Died September 23, 2017. There was so much good life and good times in between those two dates. He was fantastic. PIA sometimes but just a gem. I can honestly say that about all the kids. All good in their own right and continuing to grow and mature in fine adults. I do wish I could have seen where Ryan ended up, "Oh the places you can, could have, go....."

     So my plan today was to get going on Ryan's car. The old Vue. It's a car that has been around since 2003 when Jim Dowman and my ex-wife Cindy purchased it. It was a fine car and has served so many people in the family well. Jim ran in until he died, then Cindy had it, then I had it, and then Ryan had until he died. Truth be told, if I went through with what I had planned I am sure I would have died also. My early plan was to "restore" it and pass it along to Erin as her first car....thank God that didn't happen.

 

      I can't find the pictures but Erin and I did put a ton of work into this car. After Ryan died I had to drive down to Glassboro near Rowan where Ryan was living. He had been in an accident. The trans was shot. It looked like hell. So what I did was find the same exact car in Philly and purchased it and transferred all of the body parts over to the original Vue. Well I didn't do it but an auto shop did. I had a rebuilt manual trans put in and we were off to the races. Money was no object because "It was Ryan's car". Theresa, since Ryan passed, has been a voice of reason, it just felt on deaf ears. Old. Putting in to much money. You don't use it. Erin can't drive it and doesn't want it. And the monthly insurance premiums. I heard it, but, "It was Ryan's car". 

     So today was my day to get working on the Vue. It doesn't start, just needs a battery. It could use an oil change and I could do that. I had bought spark plugs a few years back and never put them in because you kind of have to take apart half the engine to switch them out. Well, today would be that day. I would be into the project for a couple hundred dollars, hey, "It's Ryan's car". Before I hit Auto Zone I took a look under the car......

       I know cars that sit, well, car that just sit don't do well. I was shocked, but I guess not surprised, that the entire bottom of the car was rusted, and in some parts rusted out. It looked the gas tank was just about ready to fall out. The rockers were rusted through, like if I sat down hard in the drivers seat the car would just fold, or at least the doors would be unable to close.....

     That's it. It's time. And so I just pulled out my phone dialed Carsforcash.com and did the input of information and got an offer. $254.00. It was time. I saw the light. Ryan gave me the nod. I'm good. I don't know why I felt so the need to hold onto his car. In grief, who know why we do and feel the things we do. The funny thing is Ryan wasn't a Vue guy, or a car guy, outside of very expensive cars like Rolls


Royce or Corvettes. Maybe it was the memory and the meaning the car had to Jim Dowman, and Cindy, and my daughter Juliet, who's biological Dad was the Jim Dowman. Maybe I felt like I was left holding the cards, well car, and had an obligation to see it live forever. 

      So I'm sure Ryan is looking down and watching this unfold. He, and Jim, have watched that car sit for six years. Every now and then it got a jump and took a ride, either fishing or to work, but mostly just sitting there settling and rusting away. It's time to move on. Time to give it a slap on the trunk and watch it go away. Looks like they'll be picking it up Wednesday the 23rd between 8 am -12 pm.