Friday, August 11, 2023

08.11.23 Gettin' ready for the fall...


     One of my favorite things to do is to roll change. Always have. Always will. Why? I don't know. But if I had enough I could do it for hours. And, actually, not all that long ago, change got us through some lean times. I was sad to see all my change go, but happy when the hundies were handed over by the bank teller. 


     I remember when I was growing up my father had a large glass water jug. For years, maybe decades, he would throw his change in there. It must have weighed a hundred pounds. I'd be lying to say, if I recall correctly, hitting it from time to time. So as I rolled my coins yesterday I reached out to Patty and asked her to send me a picture of that glass jug. "Shattered. We put the coins in these buckets". Per Patty my brother Ryan had rifled through it looking for one of those Indian pennies. I don't think he hit the jackpot there. I was sad to see that jug didn't make it, it was surely an item that would always make me think of my dad. 

     So since I had a decent haul of coins going I decided to do some rolling. What I'm doing is saving up the coins, rolling them, cashing them in, and then hitting the Orvis store in Princeton and getting gift cards. It's kind of like a savings account, one that can't really be touched. The goal is to have enough gift cards to cover the cost of the Orvis PRO bootfoot waders just in time for the fall. From what I hear 


 they are really top top, and the model with the zipper front is perfect to access, well, when nature calls. Plus they make it easier to get in and out of at the end of an outing. Why do it this way? For one, you really don't think you're actually spending, or taking money, from the family general fund. Two, I'm less likely to get heat from the house business manager. And three, I get to hunt for and make change whenever I'm out. It's hard to acquire change these days as everything is paid for my card or app. I'm thinking by September I'll be in some new waders.