Friday, August 25, 2023

08.25.23 In August I guess it's a smallie a day....


      With the overcast day and a chilly 60 degree overnight I thought I just might be able to squeak out a river striper. It's been awhile since I've landed one, the last time I was tight was with a keeper sized bass probably three weeks ago. The smallmouth bass have been active and I've landed one each time I go. Today was no different. I had the tank set for a striped bass, but a smallie would have to do. 


     The rivers temps are sitting nicely in the low 70's which is surely a nice temp for late summer. Soon the shad and herring fry and the bigger eels will be making their migratory path down to the ocean. Lots of bait is great, but it can make catching difficult as the YOY baitfish can come in clouds and tiny sizes to match the hatch.