Saturday, May 20, 2023

05.20.23 The story of a plug bag....


     It was April 30th and Marc and I were jumping spots looking for some striped bass. We settled in to a place where the tide was dropping and it was just starting to become fly fishable. While on the move Marc looked down and found the above plug bag. My first inkling was, "Where is this guy?". Guys don't forget their plug bags. So we made sure he wasn't floating in the river and brought it up when we left. I said I'll post it on Facebook and see what happens. I posted the below image with the caption, 


"If you know..." and that was it. The post got a half a dozen likes. That wasn't my intention. It was for the guy to recognize the striper emblem and to reach out to me. Inside was a solid collection of plugs. These are the plugs guys wait in line for at the shows and most either display or flip. Not this guy. He brings the meat and fishes them. How could he have left them? So a week or so goes by and my post is just about dead. Then a few days after that I saw it. A guy named Matthew dropped a feeler post on 


the Delaware River Fishing Facebook page asking if anyone had found a plug bag, adding, "I'd love to have that back". There was a back and forth and Matt replied, "All I can do is hope someone cool found it". So I replied, "I'm cool". A day goes by and I hear nothing. The guy was talking with his bud and said, "Why is this guy saying he's cool?". Eventually he got the memo and reached out to me. My first


response to him was, "Dude, you've got to be kidding me". Somehow he placed it down on the bank and just forgot it. We chatted for a bit and he was very thankful for the return. It felt, as always, to do the right thing.