Tuesday, May 9, 2023

05.09.23 Lost this beauty last night....


     While stopped at a light yesterday in downtown Newark I couldn't help but reach over and gaze at last night's offering. It was a nice fly. Good hidden hook. Nice eyes. Good taper. Nice blend. After work I went and fished high tide on my way home. It didn't make sense for me to pass the river and then circle back on the dropping tide. I gave it a go without a tap. Not even a small bank hugger. 


     I went home and mowed the grass since it's growing butt-wild with all of the rain and then sun we've had. I figured it would allow some time for the tide to ebb. So I hit it around 8 pm and fished it hard. Then I made a jump to another spot, nothing. Then I circled back and, well, lost that beautiful fly to something that grabbed it from the bottom, not living of course. I almost lost a two-fly set up to a submerged branch but I waded out and got them. I hoping to find their sister buried in the bark. 

     I know most of you don't care about Delaware River stuff but I do. Like I said, it's going to drop and warm up quick. We're now almost up 10 degrees in seven days. That's not good. 



      
     And for those that are wondering how the new slot will affect striped bass harvests, here's the skinny. 
Look at how some of the regulations are different for spawning rivers vs the bays and ocean. I'm not sure why we just don't have one slot, even though I don't like the slot, even tightened up, up and down the East Coast. Also, we need to get into the commercial side of things and get them tightened up as well. We are left to believe the striped bass is in a bad way due to the rec side alone. 


     And if you're wondering how the vote in favor of the emergency action went at last week's ASMFC meeting, here's the facts. The Vote was 15-1. The sole opposer was, yep you got it, the proxy from New Jersey, Adam Nowalsky. He's in cahoots with Tom Fote, and the RFA and the JCAA. They are not friends of the striped bass and conservation minded anglers. In fact, while the emergency action of a 28-31" slot is to be implemented ASAP, but before July 2nd, when do you think New Jersey will move to enact it, I can tell you, July 2nd. Money, power, and politics, is what drives fish conservation. 

And don't forget, this emergency action is only in effect for 180 days.