Friday, May 12, 2023

05.12.23 Remember when this law had people up in arms....


     Just remember a few short years ago when the New Jersey Legislature signed into law new striped bass regulations. That was done on the recommendation of the ASMFC, the body that manages striped bass. Well, the body that doesn't manage striped bass. Prior to 2015 the daily limit was two striped bass at 28 inches. That meant you could keep two fish, two big fish if you happened on them. The picture above is from an article in The Fisherman magazine from 2015 authored by Fred Golofaro. The proud angler is holding a 58.25 pound bass taken in November 2014. Those fish were the steady haul back in the day and the Captree Pride fleet was one of the best (well worst) in running multiple trips from multiple boats per day out of Long Island. 


     It was like that leading up to 2015 on the beaches also. The surfcaster in the later 2000's and into the early 2010's had bunker that would come near the beach and it was game on. So it was two fish at a minimum of 28 inches then also. Then in 2015 the regulations "tightened" things up by passing into law the "one striped bass between 28 and 43 inches and a second greater than 43 inches". Wow, that's really sticking in to them.

     New Jersey superstar's Tom Fote and Adam Nowalsky both weren't in favor, or were sketchy in there support. They fought going to one fish, which would have reduced the kill numbers by 31%, rather than the two fish new size limit, which would reduce it by 25%. These regulations were done after the 2013 stock assessment. I can't imagine how many big fish were killed after the new regulations were implemented. But I guess truth be told, it just protected the 28-43 inch fish, since the second had to be over 43 inches. 

     So last night was the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council meeting. I signed up to join online, and follow it on my phone, but the app to join the meeting and the iPhone password nightmare prevented me from attending. I haven't heard what happened, but I can only imagine how much push back there was from a select few. 


    And as far as staying true and put on the Delaware River. The river has dropped to 14,000 cfs and the temps are now above 60, almost to 64. Todays scorcher will only add to the temperatures as the river continues to drop. Allegedly, we're waiting for fish to arrive. That comes from sharpies who know the river better than I. Yesterday, without much for confidence, I traveled north and walked my way into a 



spot that I thought might hold a fish. Wishful thinking. And then after some plumbing work and mowing the grass at home I hit it on high tide. I had one strong take, one that kept me there for another 2 hours. Desperation is setting in.