Friday, January 21, 2022

01.21.22 Hate to say it but don't get your hopes up....



    Now know this. I love The Fly Fishing Show. I have great memories from The Fly Fishing Show. I have met great people at The Fly Fishing Show. I, at times, have been hard on The Fly Fishing Show. And in this post I am going to be a tad harsh, but honest. I am always honest.
     

     I have been attending The Fly Fishing Show shortly after I got into fly fishing following the arrival of  The River Runs Through It. I'm not sure when my first show was but The Fly Fishing Show started around 1992. Through the years I have went from wide-eyed-new-to-the-sport-guy, who would come home with too many plastic bags full of brochures, business cards, give aways and things I purchased. You see, back then there was no internet, when life was good. You went to the show because it was THE source, a place where fly fishing came to you, before the customer loyalty faded, shops closed, and online became the way to order things. The show was a place to see and 


learn from the most knowledgeable and influential people in the industry. Some of that exists, but if a guy sees a guy online now, follows some You Tube videos or blog posts (not me) then they "know" the person. Name dropping and affiliating, even calling them friend, as become all too common. Internet "legends" have been born, so knowledgeable without practice, at times never even actually doing or visiting the places they are "experts" in. It has all changed, we have changed, the world has changed, and The Fly Fishing Show has changed. 


    Then for a few years I worked at Dave Choinard's The Fly Hatch in Shrewsbury, mostly around the holidays and getting ready for and working the shows. That was all before I caught my first striped bass in 2003. At that time I was all about the Upper Delaware, again before social media and the internet changed those hallowed waters forever. Years later after I started guiding on the Delaware and in the salt I graduated to having a booth at the show and giving presentations. I kinda felt I had "arrived", after a long journey in fly fishing. I don't even know what arrived means, and who really cares anyway. 


     Somerset was the best, hands down, in my opinion. Although I hated that walk along the covered walkway in the freezing January cold, it was always a great feeling when you got into the lobby, or 


better yet the bar. It was that place where I felt the best introductions were made and the most important business deals occurred. It was a lot of fun, but there was a lot of drama there. "He's talking to him, or to them", relationships, personal and professional, were made and lost. And that bar. I stumbled away from it several nights, mostly that Friday night hang, for years. I remember a good night when I had a seat at the round table with Bob Popovics and we closed the bar, it was a night to remember. Another good memory, was having to many with Rich Murphy, author of one of my favorite striped bass books, Fly Fishing for Striped Bass. That boy can talk, and drink. We talked in circles to each other for hours.


     It was also at that show where I met Jim Matson and his wife Laura. For as much as I talk about that guy you think we were besties, but in fact I only saw him at the shows and a few times out at his fly fishing laboratory in his basement. I've spent more time with Laura since his passing, and that has been 


a wonderful thing for Theresa and I. The show was a place to meet some people too. I have tons of pictures which just bring back memories of good times with good people. While Theresa met with Donald Trump Jr, who cares, I was happier to talk with Rebecca Redd, I care. Kidding of course. 

            

      But really, this is about The fly Fishing Show. I remember lots of shops would come, The Fly Hatch, Whitewater Flies, Tight Lines, Jersey shops that always had a huge set up. Companies like Orvis and Simms would look to get the best corner or center spots. Donnie would always be in the corner with his Jones Brothers boat. And the presentations, were spot on, AND LOCAL! There was Upper Delaware talks, there was saltwater talks about striped bass from Jersey up to the Cape. Popovics would do his getting into saltwater fly fishing, a huge presentation. I remember he and I had presentations at the same time and we were taking photos of the crowd and sending them to each other during it to see who had the better attendance. It was funny. You can ask him about it. And then the move to Edison....not a fan, at all. Hotels you have to drive to. No real bar, no hang. Why stay over? For me it's a one and done visit when I go, it is what it is. 


     The rod makers have been consistently there, the old and the new, as well as the reel manufacturers. It is a good place to hit the casting pond and see if it is something you may like to buy. Regal Engineering was there, a great time to talk with and see pros tying on their vices. 



          So that brings us to this year. Marlborough usually kicks things off, but that show was postponed to April, due to Covid, so Edison is the opener. There is a lot of pressure on Edison, and the industry will be watching. Why? Because if the show is being "sold" as business as usual, and it falls short, the writers and bloggers will notice and spread the word. If the show is a bummer the companies and manufactures will take notice and remember that when it comes time send in the downpayment on the booth space and budget for the cost of the show for the following year. And there's the attendees, who will be a one-day-and-done customer, and rethink of going to the 2023 show. 



     As we get closer I have been checking to see if and when the show would put up the map and list the exhibitors. Well this morning it was up.  Many don't check, they just assume it will be the same, but no. Blame it on Covid. Blame it on the change of venue, which people still remember. Blame it on the cost for the vendors. Blame it on the lull in the industry and the need for a "new movie" to come out. But lets see who's coming, as outlined on The Fly Fishing Show website. I guess it's full disclosure. 


     I see that Brad Buzzi will be there as well as Tight Lines, good for shopping and do support those guys if you go. Don't see Whiting or Collins listed, that was always a cool stop and pick. I see that Orvis, Simms, Gace, Scott and Regal aren't listed......mmmmm. Rich Murphy will be, if you don't have his book buy it. I don't see a few names, Taylor, Popovics, Cohen, King, Stryker, Farhar, but David Nelson and his Squimpish materials will be, and he will kill it as he did last year, check that shit out. Joe Calcevecchia is taking the ride, such a nice guy who usually brings treats from his work at some chocolate company in 


Massachusetts. George Daniel,  who was running real hot a few years back and has a huge following, is supposed to be there, but through the fly vine I have heard he might not be. Now things come up, and last minute cancellations happen. But you are in the know, early on, then you have to disclose that, why? Because if you someone jazzed up for the show, and want to see "your guy or girl", and they aren't there, it is a HUGE disappointment, and more so if you weren't told. It's like going to a multi- band concert, and the promoters know the band isn't coming a week in advance, but you don't know about it until you get inside the gate and see the "Cancelled" across their name. Again, shit, like Covid happens, but in advance, people should know, or if there's a lot of that going on, then it should be postponed or cancelled all together. 
     

     And then there's that, oh yeah Covid thing. Governor Murphy just mandated all health care workers must be vaccinated and boosted, or they lose there jobs. Kids in some districts are virtual only, and colleges have the mandates as well. In Jersey, we are tough on Covid. We are still under a state of emergency, but large gatherings like Giants games, Rutgers games and trade shows can still go on? Mmmm. Mixed message there? Is this anyway about money? Pressure and politics? Whatever you think okay. But here's something. The guys and girls that are the pioneers are getting up there in age or have passed on. The older folks, who are more susceptible to exposure and sickness, are not, going to get sick, traveling to or being in a large venue in tight quarters for three days, with people who may or may not be vaccinated, boosted, or positive or negative, it's not happening. And can you blame them?


     You see, attendance is like a virus. Once people get spooked it becomes contagious. Once one major person or company doesn't show it also spreads. I write not to spook you, because you will go this year, and there will be some numbers the Furminsky's report about the attendees and the revenue, but you should know what you are going to before you go. From their floor map and list, well you decide. I have talked about the lack of Jersey/PA/NewYork "stuff" at the show for years, in both the exhibits and presentations, which to me has missed the mark. In my opinion, as I have had for years, The Fly Fishing Show should come to "us", the talent, to provide content to the show, which drives up interest and attendance. I shouldn't have to pay for a booth and then not get compensated for presenting over the several day weekend. In fact, the content, the entertainment, is what people come to see. But not the way the show sees it, they are doing presenters a favor, by allowing them to be there, which will increase their exposure and revenue, uh, yeah no. Live Nation doesn't charge The Grateful Dead to put on shows, because it increases their exposure, right? But that's my bitch about that, but that's why you don't have local talent. And as I think, no bluefin stuff? No albie stuff? C'mon man. 

I wish the show well, because the other shows depend on a good start, and the industry does as well. The Fly Fishing Show shouldn't sell something it can't deliver, if in fact that is the case. The big companies and names may not be there, and for $18 a day they don't want people, especially in todays keyboard-hero-world, letting the word of a disappointing show to get out, no matter how much damage control they try to do before and after. Have a great show, see you there next week.