Monday, October 27, 2014

10.27.14 Hate the stand around and wait bunker blitz fishing......


     It feels like spring out there, and looks like it too, both on the water and on the beach. Tons of boats, tons of adult bunker, and tons of anglers out standing around and on cell phones.
   
And, like they say, 'If you can't beat them, join them."

     This morning I sat with some friends as we watched bunker pods passing north to south along the beach. Boats were out in full effect and we commented on each's tactic as they approached a pod, and cursed them when they cut off the bunker from the guys on the end of the groins.

     With a NW wind, flat seas, and gin clear water....its pretty much a wait and see kind of fishing opportunity, especially with the fly rod. There were three good fish caught, and released this morning, a 21, 25, and 29 pounder, all on snagged bunker. Kinda hard to compete with that throwing a Kinky Muddler on a fly rod.

     I made my way out to a groin when the crowds had dispersed waiting for the bait to move in and get caught up in a pocket but that never happened. Either way it was a beautiful day, even though my skunk continues, with my last bass caught was September 16th. That's over a month less the 9 days I was at Montauk, I'm ready to go tight real soon.