Tuesday, October 14, 2014

10.14.14 The insanity continues.....


     "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Eintein

     That was me out there again this morning, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Einstein may have been talking more about life than fishing, but it applies. It is funny how we think that by continuing in life without making hard choices and changes that things will be different. It just doesn't happen that way.

     I realize now, through a period of reflection and maturity, that change can be good. It might be painful, and upset an already upset apple cart, but sometimes you have to flip the cart over and start to reload it apple by apple. That change for me, starts with an acknowledgement that my thoughts and actions may be skewed, and may have been that way for a long while. I think I have held onto "my plan" for to long in my life and it hasn't served me well. Recently I have changed my thoughts, changed my plan, and made changes in my life, that in the long run, will serve my family and I better.

     So, to relate this to fly fishing, because I have been accused of being too open and honest and personal on this blog, today I changed up. I started before sunrise, throwing a popper into the skinny water, went to a Snake Fly for a bit, and them tried large bunker fly....all with the same results, nada. But even though the results in the end were the same, it felt good to step out of my comfort zone, and it left me feeling better that I tried something different, but in the end I left knowing that the fish just weren't there.