Wednesday, September 18, 2024

09.19.24 Well there's a point of no return...

     Sometimes things just make sense. And then when we do them something clicks in our head making us think we made a mistake. This couldn't have been more true when I listed the motor on me and Jim's boat for sale. Jim purchased his boat back in 1996. Surprisingly to me his original boat came with a Yamaha 130 hp two-stroke engine on it.

I thought that all of the Jones Brothers 19'10" Cape Fisherman came with a 150 hp motor on it. Some six years later Jim re-powered with a 175 Yamaha HPDI. A motor that was different than others at the time, and supposedly better on gas mileage and power, I think. 

     Now 1996 is a long ways back. It was the year Ryan was born, and as of last month he would have been 28 years old. That 175 would be 22 years old this year, not a spring chicken by any means. But it was well cared for and not used all that much as Jim kept that boat out in Pottstown and used it in the salt water. And since he passed in 2018 and during my tenure with it it hasn't seen but a few days out on the water. But that said, when I did want to service it before getting it wet, it was hard to find someone willing to open her up, "It's a death by 1,000 cuts", they told me over at Gateway Marine. So I bought it over to Mercer Marine. 

     So as we have started our two-three year New Jersey exit plan hopefully heading to Hilton Head the question became, "What do I do with the boat?". I love this boat, loved mine, until I sold it, and now love Jim's. And I love that I was able to continue Jim's "Brine Fly" journey, even if that's just making the move from Pottstown to Titusville, and sitting in our driveways. 

     The few times I did have the boat out it I was always nervous if not trying to figure out what was wrong with it. when Leif and I would give it a go we'd start backing the boat in the water and then 

pulling it back out when it didn't start. That happened more than once. That all led me to not have much confidence in it and always left me nervous, "Should we try and shut it down while we fish?" was a common question. But after we got underway we had some really good days out on her. And then there was that one cold December morning in 2020. That was just a flukey thing. And yes I had the wheels on the truck chocked. 

     Last week I talked with Paul Eidman who has done the old-Jones Brothers 19'10" makeover in the past. New poly tank replacing a metal one, redoing the supports and the deck, and re-powering it. At some point I would have had to do the same to my original Jones. That's just the way it is.

     So I came up with a realistic plan. The boat really needs a make-over, like a good one. Not a patch job here and there but a stripped-down naked kind of makeover. Why have a 22-year old motor, and a finicky one at that, that isn't easy to get parts for or someone to work on it, sitting in my driveway for another cold winter? Let me take the plunge and sell the motor and go forward. 

     



    Eidman said the motor might be worth $1,200 and would probably be snatched up from someone who wants to send it overseas or use it for parts. So I put it up for $2,000 and waited. Just like other Facebook Marketplace posts I got 1,000 hits and plenty, "Is this available?". The first guy whop came I talked out of it. I just couldn't. He was a nice guy who knew less than me and wasn't familiar with HPDI engines. If he gave me a $100 after talking him out of it I would have taken it because I know I saved the guy a ton of headache and money. 

    My next guy was local. He had a center console that he ran a 175 HPDI on and he loved the motor. He was also a Yamaha dealer at some point so this was in his wheelhouse. He and his BIL came over 


and just wanted to see the boat. No salesman required. He compression tested all the cylinders. He checked the fuel pump. Then he asked to give a start a try. It fired right up. My heart sank. Did I do the wrong thing? He was happy as a clam while I had a pit in my stomach. He then went over saying how he would replace the head gaskets and this and that which was way over my head, that conversation, made me feel a little better. With the motor still on the boat and his shop just over the bridge in Pennsylvania I suggested just taking it and doing what he had to do. Nice guy, I trust him, so we'll see. 


     He loaded the boat up and made his way down the driveway. I took some pictures as I always do and then gave chase when I saw I still had Jim's old plate on it. He stopped and said, "Second thoughts?" and for a minute I didn't know how to answer. But I think I'm good. Now I have to give Donnie Jones a call and see what tank he wants me to get for the boat and see if he would like to do the tank and deck portion of the refurbishment. When I say spongy I'm afraid to see what's really going on underneath.